life and work
Horst Antes studied painting with HAP Grieshaber at the Academy of Fine Arts in Karlsruhe from 1957 to 1959 . Through Grieshaber, he belonged to a group of painters with independent profiles, such as Hans Baschang , Walter Stöhrer and Heinz Schanz . He has been professor of painting at the Karlsruhe Academy since 1967 and leads a painting class. In 1962 he stayed in Florence ( Villa Romana ), in 1963 in Rome ( Villa Massimo ), where the cephalopod was exhibited in three dimensions for the first time. In 1966 he designed metal sculptures for a garden of the seven monuments of earthly delights , which Antes exhibited in 1967 on the occasion of the Federal Garden Show for the Botanical Garden in Karlsruhe. In 1968 he received a visiting professorship at the University of Fine Arts (now the University of the Arts) in Berlin . Since 1983 he has been a member of the Free Academy of the Arts Hamburg .
Starting with informal post-war painting, Horst Antes was one of the first pioneers of representational painting to look for new possibilities in figurative painting, finding a model in Willem de Kooning , who combined informal and figurative elements. He is a co-founder of the new figurative painting in Germany . His cephalopods , created from 1962 onwards, are characteristic , in which suggestions from the kachina dolls of the Pueblo Indians played a role, which for a long time was his only motif. A cephalopod , a so-called "fictional figure", has no neck, little chest and stomach and head and feet seem to merge. Antes is also a collector himself. He brought together a large number of West African aklama figures in his collection.
As a member of the German Association of Artists , Horst Antes took part in fifteen major annual exhibitions between 1961 and 1992. He was a participant in documenta III (1964), the 4th documenta (1968), and also in documenta VI in 1977 in Kassel . From 1977 to 1979 Antes was a member of the DKB board. He lives and works in Karlsruhe- Wolfartsweier , where he lives in a studio house that was converted from a former storage shed in 1970 by the architect Heinz Mohl . He is also temporarily active in Berlin and in Castellina in Chianti in Italy .
- 1989: Horst Antes - The Berlin Pictures , Gallery of the City of Stuttgart
- 1993: Antes Pictures 1959–93 , Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen , Munich
- 2002: Horst Antes and the picturesque departure in the 1960s , Sprengel Museum Hannover
- 2003: Host Antes. Works on paper and graphics 1969–2002 , Kunsthalle Villa Kobe
- 2004: Horst Antes and Kachinas , Takamatsu City Museum of Art; Itami City Museum of Art; Iwate Museum of Art; Iwaki City Art Museum; The Museum of Modern Art, Hayama
- 2004: Interiors , Bayreuth Art Museum
- 2006: Horst Antes. The early work. Pictures and drawings from private ownership , Villa Wessel , Iserlohn
- 2006: And tomorrow I might paint a picture , Kunsthalle Würth , Schwäbisch Hall
- 2013: Exhibition in the Martin-Gropius-Bau , Berlin (June to September 2013)
- 2016: An exhibition in Lübeck showed an army of African helper spirits owned by Horst Antes.
- 1959: Art Prize of the City of Hanover (Pankover Prize)
- 1960: Scholarship cultural group of the German economy
- 1961: Young West Art Prize from the city of Recklinghausen
- 1962: Scholarship holder of the Villa Romana in Florence
- 1963: Scholarship holder of the Villa Massimo in Rome
- 1966: Scholarship from the Aldegrever Society, Münster
- 1966: Prize for Painting, XXXIII. Venice Biennale
- 1989: Hans-Molfenter-Preis of the state capital Stuttgart
- 1989: Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 1991: Hessian Culture Prize , Wiesbaden
- 1992: Grand Prize of the São Paulo Biennale
- Blue Figure , 1962, Städelsches Kunstinstitut , Frankfurt am Main
- Green Figure , 1963, oil on canvas, 130 × 90 cm, Sprengel Museum Hannover
- Figure with a red ribbon , 1962/63, oil on canvas, 100 × 81.2 Neue Pinakothek (Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen), Munich
- Third landscape painting , 1968, Aquatec on canvas, Museum Ludwig , Cologne
- Gray figure in a box , 1969, Aquatec on canvas, 121 × 100 cm, Galerie Beyeler, Basel
- Kopffüßler , 1977, consisting of ten figures: 1 “standing figure” (on the terrace of the courtyard building north of the chemistry), 2 “flying figure” (on the canteen terrace west), 3 “female and male figure” (in the entrance hall of the chemical Institutes), 4 "kneeling figure" (in the open-air area on Boltzmannstrasse), 5 "stool figure Embryo" (on the terrace of the library), 6 "walking figure" (at the main entrance to the chemical institutes) 7 "reclining figure - figure with ladder" (under the trees northeast of the cafeteria), 8 “Flying and falling figure” (on the cafeteria terrace), 9 “Interior” (in the entrance hall of the cafeteria), 10 “Figure group birth” (north of the cafeteria); Technical University of Munich , Garching campus , chemistry department and canteen
- Square of Heads , 1982/83, ensembles, consisting of a gate and five heads, COR-TEN steel; Height: 4.2 m each, the installation took place in November 1983 on the ZDF broadcasting center .
- Der Ring - Die Fresser - Die Insel , 1991, sculpture ensemble in stainless steel, Düsseldorf-Oberbilk
- Reinhold Hohl : Sculpture in the 20th Century. Exhibition in Wenkenpark , Riehen / Basel. May 10 to September 14, 1980. Werner Druck AG, Basel 1980, ISBN 3-85979-011-0
- Horst Antes, Wolfgang Haberland: Kachina figures of the Pueblo Indians of North America from the study collection Horst Antes , Badisches Landesmuseum, Karlsruhe, 1980, ISBN 3-922608-01-9
- Dietrich Mahlow: 100 years of metal sculpture . 2 volumes. Metallgesellschaft AG , Frankfurt 1981,
- Dieter Honisch (Vorw.): 1945 1985. Art in the Federal Republic of Germany , (National Gallery, State Museums, Prussian Cultural Heritage, Berlin), Nicolaische Verlagsbuchhandlung, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-87584-158-1
- Donald Burton Kuspit, Volker Huber: Horst Antes , Hatje Cantz, 2006, ISBN 978-3-77571766-3
- Volker Volkens : Horst Antes. Catalog raisonné of paintings, Vol. 2, 1965 to 1968 . Swirdoff Künzelsau, 2017. ISBN 978-3-89929-177-3
- Volker Volkens: Horst Antes. Catalog raisonné of paintings, Vol. 3, 1969 to 1971. Swiridoff Künzelsau, 2014. ISBN 978-3-89929-178-0
- Arthur Mehlstäubler: Horst Antes. Catalog raisonné of paintings, Vol. 4, 1972 to 1975. Swiridoff Künzelsau, 2013. ISBN 978-3-89929-179-7
- Arthur Mehlstäubler, Volker Volkens: Horst Antes. Catalog raisonné of paintings, Vol. 9, 1993 to 1996. Swiridoff Künzelsau, 2013. ISBN 978-3-89929-184-1
- Volker Volkens: Horst Antes. Catalog raisonné of paintings, Vol. 10, 1997 to 2003. Swirdoff Künzelsau, 2015. ISBN 978-3-89929-185-8
- Antes, Horst . In: Supreme Building Authority Munich (Hrsg.): Bildwerk Bauwerk Artwork - 30 years of art and state building in Bavaria . Bruckmann, Munich 1990, ISBN 3-7654-2308-4 , p. 154, 168-171 .
- Literature by and about Horst Antes in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Horst Antes in the German Digital Library
- Horst Antes in the ifa database
- Materials by and about Horst Antes in the documenta archive
- Horst Antes: The love of the original form. In: Zeit Online . Retrieved October 15, 2018 .
- Board members of the German Association of Artists since 1951. German Association of Artists , accessed on February 11, 2019 .
- The Atelierhaus Horst Antes in the Karlsruhe database of cultural monuments. (accessed April 19, 2016).
- Exhibition in the Martin-Gropius-Bau: Horst Antes - more than the famous "cephalopod". In: Zeit Campus . June 13, 2013, accessed February 11, 2019 .
- The love of the original form (August 25, 2016)
- Exhibition catalog Prisma '70 , 18th annual exhibition of the DKB in Bonn: Fig. 8 (Horst Antes: Gray figure in a box , p. 13)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter, graphic artist and sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 28, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Heppenheim|