|Area of Expertise||Natural sciences|
|publishing company||Macmillan Publishers Ltd. ( Great Britain )|
|Frequency of publication||weekly|
|Impact Factor||42,778 (2019)|
|Editor||Nature Publishing Group|
Nature: a weekly journal of science is a weekly, English-language specialist journal with topics from various, predominantly scientific, disciplines. In 2014, Nature was the world's most cited interdisciplinary journal according to the Journal Citation Reports and the journal with the highest impact factor in its category. Alongside the US Science, it is the world's most respected journal for natural sciences.
The journal is aimed at scientists , but summaries at the beginning of each issue make important publications understandable for the interested public. The editorial and the “News Articles” area report on topics that are of interdisciplinary interest for scientists (e.g. research funding). In addition, each issue consists of original publications that require specialist knowledge.
Publishing an article in journals such as Nature or Science is very prestigious, as the articles are quoted very often on average and attract a high degree of attention even beyond the individual subject boundaries.
In 2007 the magazine was awarded the Prince of Asturias Prize together with Science .
The first edition of Nature was published on November 4, 1869 by the English physicist Joseph Norman Lockyer and was published by Macmillan. An English translation of the essay Die Natur by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe appeared in the first article . Until 1919 Lockyer was also the editor-in-chief of the journal. From 1966 to 1973 and from 1980 to 1995, John Maddox was the editor. Nature is edited in the UK by the Nature Publishing Group and published in London. Nature has offices in London , New York City , San Francisco , Washington, DC , Tokyo , Paris , Munich and Basingstoke .
There are also a number of Nature Reviews , e.g. B. Nature Reviews Genetics , Nature Reviews Cardiology , Nature Reviews Rheumatology or Nature Reviews Cancer . In addition, on September 23, 2009, NPG announced that it would be expanding its list of paid journals to include a freely accessible, open-access publication. This has been published since 2010 under the title Nature Communications and is intended to cover the entire scientific spectrum with a focus on physics , chemistry and biosciences .
Nature is published by Macmillan Publishers , which has been taken over by the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group . The newspaper appears in the Nature Publishing Group , which Holtzbrinck contributed to Springer Nature .
The impact factor in 2019 was 42.778, the five-year impact factor was 46.486. According to the statistics of the ISI Web of Knowledge , the journal with this impact factor ranks first out of 71 journals in the category of multidisciplinary science .
- Nature website
- Nature history webpage
- Website on the history of typography by Nature
- Nature Precedings (pre-publication)
- Nature first issue ( Memento from November 29, 2016 in the Internet Archive ). In: nature.com (English; electronic version of the first edition from 1869)
- Wolfgang Burgmer: November 4th, 1869 - First number of "Nature" is published by WDR ZeitZeichen on November 4th, 2019. (Podcast)
- InCites Journal Citation Reports 2019, accessed on June 29, 2020 (registration required).
- CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Result. In: cas.org. Retrieved April 23, 2020 (English).
- 2016 Journal Citation Reports. Science Edition, Thomson Reuters, 2017 (registration required).
- Thomas Henry Huxley : Goethe: Aphorisms on Nature. (No longer available online.) In: nature.com. November 4, 1869, archived from the original on February 21, 2007 ; accessed on December 12, 2017 (English).