|legal form||AG & Co. KGaA|
|management||Chairman of the Board : Franciscus Peeters|
|Number of employees||10,000 (2019)|
|sales||1.72 billion euros (2019)|
|Website||Springer Nature Group|
Springer Nature was created in May 2015 from the merger of the Nature Publishing Group , Palgrave Macmillan and Macmillan Education (all from the Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group ) with Springer Science + Business Media . In the same year, the JB Metzler'sche publishing bookshop was also taken over. At the shareholders' meeting on April 5, 2018, it was decided to transform the company into Springer Nature AG & Co. KGaA , based in Berlin (District Court Charlottenburg (Berlin) HRB 195463 B). The company has a personally liable partner who alone represents the company. The personally liable partner is Springer Nature Management Aktiengesellschaft.
The Georg von Holtzbrinck publishing group holds 53% of the shares . The remaining 47% is held by the holding company BC Partners . The company planned to go public in 2018. However, this was canceled at short notice due to insufficient demand during the subscription period.
The publishing group's annual turnover in 2018 was 1.66 billion euros.
In November 2017, Springer Nature faced allegations of premature obedience to the Chinese authorities and censorship when it became known that the publisher had blocked access to at least one thousand articles in the Journal of Chinese Political Science and International Politics from China . The articles contain “politically sensitive” keywords such as “ Taiwan ”, “ Tibet ”, “ Xinjiang ”, “ Hong Kong ”, “ Tian'anmen ” and “ Cultural Revolution ”.
- Springer Nature Group. (PDF 830 KB) Springer Nature Group, accessed on March 12, 2020 .
- SPRINGER NATURE is called the new company after approval of the merger. Springer , May 6, 2015, accessed April 2, 2018 .
- Springer Nature takes over JB Metzler , July 31, 2015.
- Springer Nature announces IPO In: FAZ of April 12, 2018
- (Charlottenburg District Court, HRB 188032 B)
- Insider - Springer Nature to go public with billions. Reuters Editorial, November 27, 2017, accessed January 3, 2018 .
- Springer Nature puts IPO on hold. n-tv news television, May 8, 2018, accessed May 9, 2018 .
- Springer Nature fails with an IPO worth billions. Reuters, May 8, 2018, accessed May 9, 2018 .
- Heiner Roetz: Much Understanding for Censors , in: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung für Deutschland, number 156/2020, July 8, 2020, p. N 4.
- Ben Bland: Outcry as latest global publisher bows to China censors. In: Financial Times . November 1, 2017, accessed on April 2, 2018 (English, registration required).
- Javier C. Hernández: Leading Western Publisher Bows to Chinese Censorship. In: The New York Times . November 1, 2017, accessed April 2, 2018 .
- Christopher Bodeen: Springer Nature blocks access to articles in China. Associated Press , November 1, 2017, accessed April 2, 2018 .
- Deutscher Wissenschaftsverlag censors offer in China. In: Der Spiegel . November 1, 2017, accessed April 2, 2018 .
- Jürgen Langenbach: Wissenschaftsverlag bows to China's censorship. In: The press . November 7, 2017, accessed April 2, 2018 .