As a therapist ( old Gr . Θεραπευτής [therapeutés]: "the servant, the attendant, the guard, the nurse") is now a user of a medical profession or a healing method, such as a treating physician (with regard to his task of applying certain therapies) or called psychotherapist .
In particular, the term therapist is used in clinical psychology and in the health professions or medical professions. Most of the professions in which the master form therapist is included are recognized and protected.
The term “ practitioner” , which was introduced into German social legislation around 1900 , referred in particular to therapists who were not licensed by a doctor ("such as alternative practitioners or quackery") and is therefore no longer synonymous with the word therapist (even) today.
In Germany, the term therapist alone or supplemented with certain terms is not protected by law and therefore does not indicate a successfully completed degree or even technical competence . This contrasts with the legally protected professional titles of the medical professions doctor , alternative practitioner and psychotherapist as well as the health professions speech therapist , motopaedudist , occupational therapist and physiotherapist , which may only be used after passing the state examination .
The term therapist is free in Germany and basically does not enjoy any special protection. This does not apply to B. the physiotherapist and occupational therapist. The designation of “massage therapist / wellness therapist” therefore contrasts with the training occupation of physiotherapists regulated in §§ 8 ff. Of the law on masseurs and physiotherapists. The designations are conceptually differentiated by the traffic and recognized as two different professions in terms of content. The term “psychotherapist” is also protected by the state and is reserved for qualified psychologists and psychologists with a master’s degree who have completed additional training as “psychological psychotherapists” and thus obtained their license to practice medicine. The term “psychotherapy”, however, is not protected and may also be used by alternative practitioners. Social pedagogues (diploma or master's degree) can also obtain a license to practice medicine in the above-mentioned field with the appropriate additional training and state examination as child and youth psychotherapist and use the term “child and youth psychotherapist”. Compare also a decision of the Regional Court of Kiel:
In a treatment concept of inpatient psychotherapy in which several therapists work together, there is also the reference therapist as a binding element.
Today, the term therapist alone or in connection with additional terms also refers to users of non-healing-related procedures, such as wellness therapists, yoga therapists, beauty therapists, dog therapists, transformation therapists, derma therapists, neurofeedback therapists, Marte Meo therapists, learning therapists, landscape therapists or vitality therapists . None of these terms are legally protected in Germany; their use is therefore free. In this respect, no reference to a medical context of the activity or even a protected professional title can be inferred from the term therapist.
In Austria, therapists in the field of psychotherapy have completed several years of additional training at one of 23 approved institutes (2007). The training includes theory, self-awareness , guided practice, supervision and examination.
- Caution, therapist! ( Memento of the original from October 10, 2017 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at wellnessverband.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Reinhard Platzek: Socialized Medicine. Some time-related word and subject-critical marginalia on a text by Hermann von Hayek (1880–1939). In: Specialized prose research - Crossing borders. Volume 8/9, 2012/13 (2014), pp. 413-435, here: pp. 420 f.
- Johannes Vesper: "Therapist". The term belongs to acta. In: Deutsches Ärzteblatt. 108, 2011, p. A989.
- Judgment at kanzlei.biz, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- LG Kiel, court ruling See also court ruling of the Kiel Regional Court of September 11, 2008 (AZ 15 O 100/08 = MIR 2008, Doc. 309) and Schleswig Higher Regional Court (AZ 6 W 52/08)
- Derma-Therapeut / in at kosmetikschuleschoener.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Certified neurofeedback therapist at neurofeedback-info.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Training to become a Marte Meo therapist ( Memento of the original from March 11, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at odenwaldinstitut.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Become a learning therapist! at iflw.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Training - Landscape Therapist at Landschafts-therapeut.de , accessed on May 9, 2016.
- The job description of vital therapist ( memento of the original from October 29, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at spirituelle-schule.de, accessed on May 9, 2016.
- Psychotherapy methods at psyonline.at, accessed on May 9, 2016.