Riots in Peru 2020
The controversial removal of Vizcarra has been labeled a coup d'état by many Peruvians, political analysts and the media in the country . Massive demonstrations were registered in several cities in the country, protesting against this process and the subsequent inauguration of interim president Manuel Merino , previously chairman of the congress. After taking office, Merino formed a right-wing government with the support of the Admiralty of the Peruvian Navy .
The protests have been described as the largest demonstrations in Peru in the past two decades and are organized by groups of young Peruvians on social media. The authorities' disproportionate response has been condemned by various human rights organizations , including the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and Amnesty International .
A majority of Merino government ministers resigned after reports that some demonstrators were killed in police shots on November 14th. Merino itself followed them the following day. He was president for a total of five days.
- NOTICIAS EL COMERCIO PERÚ: Vacancia de Martín Vizcarra: varios grupos de personas se congregan en la plaza San Martín tras votación del Congreso nndc | LIMA. November 9, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- Dan Collyns: Interim Peru president faces calls to quit after two protest deaths . In: The Guardian . November 15, 2020, ISSN 0261-3077 ( theguardian.com [accessed November 16, 2020]).
- Facebook, Twitter, Show more sharing options, Facebook, Twitter: They threw out the president. Now Peru's anti-corruption drive looks in doubt. November 12, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (American English).
- Redacción LR: Golpe de estado editorial. November 10, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- Manuel Merino: crean pedido para rechazar vacancia contra Martín Vizcarra y el golpe de Estado. November 11, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- César Espinoza: Martín Vizcarra | Vacancia Congreso: Protestas en varias ciudades y regiones | Arequipa | Trujillo | Chiclayo | Cusco | Piura | Huancayo | Iquitos. November 9, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- "No sé qué les fastidia", dice el primer ministro de Perú ante las masivas protestas. Retrieved November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- La CIDH preocupada por el "uso excesivo" de la fuerza policial en las protestas en Perú. Retrieved November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- Oswaldo Palacios: Vacancia presidencial | Al menos 27 detenidos en el centro de Lima y manifestantes denuncian abuso yreprión policial. Video. November 10, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- NOTICIAS PERU21: CRISIS POLíTICAL: Titular del Interior y la mayoría de ministros renuncia a Gabinete de Ántero Flores-Aráoz | POLITICA. November 15, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- EN VIVO | Pleno del Congreso sesiona para decidir sucesión presidencial tras renuncia de Manuel Merino | Ántero Flores-Aráoz | Congreso de la República | Vacancia presidencial. November 16, 2020, accessed November 16, 2020 (Spanish).
- tagesschau.de: Peru: Interim President Merino resigns. Retrieved November 16, 2020 .