After training as a teacher, she studied Icelandic and library sciences at the University of Iceland until 1978. In 1982 she completed a degree in education, from 1984 to 1985 she studied Icelandic literature. Until 1990 she worked as a primary and secondary school teacher in Reykjavík and Hafnarfjörður ; since then she has devoted herself almost exclusively to her activities as a writer.
After her first book, the short story volume Tiu myndir úr lífi þínu (literally “Ten Photos from Your Life”), was published in 1983 , numerous poems, short stories, plays, novels and children's books followed. Her literary breakthrough came in 1987 with the book Kaldaljós . The novel was filmed in 2004 under the direction of Hilmar Oddssons . Her works have been translated into French, German, Swedish, English and Danish.
- Tíu myndir úr lífi þínu, sögur um þykjustuleiki og alvörudrauma . 1983.
- Eldur and rain . 1985.
- Kaldaljós . 1987.
- Ég heiti Ísbjörg, ég er ljón . 1989.
- Minningabók . 1990.
- Lendar elskhugans . 1991.
- Stúlkan í skóginum . 1992. (Ger. The girl in the forest . 2000).
- Grandavegur 7 . 1994.
- Z ástarsaga . 1996.
- Gauti vinur minn . 1996.
- Nætursöngvar . 1998.
- Þögnin . 2000.
- Frá ljósi til ljóss . 2001.
- Hjarta, tungl og bláir fuglar . 2002.
- Þegar stjarna hrapar . 2003.
- Þrenningin . 2005.
- Sagan about Bíbí . 2007. (German. The history of BIBI Olafsdottir . 2011).
- Trúir þú á töfra? . 2011.
- The most beautiful stories in Iceland . Berlin 2011, p. 320.
- Literature by and about Vigdís Grímsdóttir in the catalog of the German National Library
- List of works at Bókmenntir.is (Icelandic)
- Interview at the Frankfurt Book Fair 2011
- Kristín Viðarsdóttir: A Fictious Being. On Vigdís Grímsdóttir's Work (English)
- Short biography and reviews of works by Vigdís Grímsdóttir at perlentaucher.de
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Icelandic writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||15th August 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Reykjavík, Iceland|