An application server or application server , English application server [ ˌæplɪˈkeɪʃn̩ ˈsɝːvɚ ], is generally a server in a computer network that executes application programs . In a narrower sense, the term refers to software that provides special services, such as transactions , authentication or access to directory services , web services and databases via defined interfaces . In relation to Java , the term application server mostly stands for a framework that facilitates the development of web applications and provides a server.
Application servers, for example in geographic information systems , are common and of great importance , where they generate the requested maps and also enable tracking in real time . The fact that route planning immediately produces a qualified result by entering the start and destination in the browser is not based on the capabilities of the client , but on extensive individual determinations by the application server, which only provides its result.
An application server provides a runtime environment for the server part of a client-server application. For example, in a web application, the web browser is the client part of the application.
Explicit and implicit properties generally apply to an application server:
- Encapsulation of data sources (standardized adapter to databases, message queuing , directory services, applications)
- Interfaces to higher quality services: asynchronous communication , transaction processing , data transformation and persistence
- Scalability without having to modify the application
- Monitoring , calibration , logging and management functions at runtime
- Software lifecycle management (delivery, deployment, patches, upgrades)
There are many different application servers that differ more markedly in terms of their special properties than in terms of their general properties.
Many applications have to be developed for a specific type of application server (types are e.g. Java EE , .NET , SAP Web Application Server ). In the area of application servers, especially Java EE servers, the high proportion of open source products is striking.
- www.theserverside.com/reviews/matrix.tss List of Java application servers with the central characteristics (English)
- What is an App Server? .
- Use Cases & Requirements / Map Application UC . World Wide Web Consortium . Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- White Paper: The OpenGeo Architecture . OpenGeo. Archived from the original on July 5, 2013. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Tracking Company Assets in Real Time . Exprodat. Retrieved August 8, 2018.