Aurelio de la Vega
He first studied law ( Ph.D. ) at the University of Havana . He later earned a Ph.D. in composition at the Conservatorio Ada Iglesias in Havana. He also studied with Fritz Kramer in Havana from 1943 to 1946 and with Ernst Toch in Los Angeles from 1947 to 1948 .
He was Dean of the Musicology Faculty of the Universidad de Oriente in Santiago de Cuba , advisor to the National Cultural Institute and Vice President of the Havana Philharmonic Orchestra. From 1952 to 1954 he was visiting professor in the USA. In 1959 he moved to California and became a music professor and director of the electronic music studio at California State University, Northridge . In 1966 he received US citizenship.
He has received the Kennedy Center Friedheim Award twice. He is also a member of the Academy of Arts and Letters in Chile and the Brazilian Academy of Music .
- Michael Kennedy: The Oxford Dictionary of Music . Oxford University Press, ISBN 0-19-869162-9 , Oxford 1994, pp. 916 f.
- Website for Aurelio de la Vega (English)
- Biography of Aurelio de la Vega
- Aurelio de la Vega: The Age They Wanted to Erase. In: Herencia Review, Vol. 9, No. 1, Spring 2003, accessed via DwightWinenger.net on September 25, 2013
- Aurelio de la Vega Saavedra in the official Cuban online encyclopedia EcuRed (Spanish)
- Jorge Smith: Music: Aurelio de la Vega: A Cuban Composer in the Latin Grammies. In: CubaNow of October 9, 2012, accessed on September 25, 2013 (English)
|SURNAME||de la Vega, Aurelio|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||de la Vega Saavedra, Aurelio (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 28, 1925|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Havana , Cuba|