Bergmann-Schaefer textbook on experimental physics
The textbook on experimental physics by Ludwig Bergmann and Clemens Schaefer is one of the classics of German-language physical textbook literature. In terms of conception and scope, it is somewhere between a textbook and a manual. The first edition of the multi-volume work appeared between 1943 and 1955, since then the volumes have been reissued under changing editors and numerous co-authors and the series has been supplemented by new volumes. It is published by Walter de Gruyter .
By 1955 the first three volumes on mechanics, acoustics and thermodynamics (volume 1, first 1943), electromagnetism (volume 2, first 1950) and optics and atomic physics (volume 3 in two parts, first 1955) were published. Since 1970, a revision has been made by Heinrich Gobrecht , who expanded the series in 1975 with the fourth volume, Structure of Matter . Volume 3 Optics has been published since the 9th edition in 1993 by Heinz Niedig with contributions from several authors. In 1992, Wilhelm Raith brought out a comprehensively restructured and written edition of the contents of Volume 4 in three volumes, from Volume 4 to 6 together with around 35 authors. In 1994 the 7th volume Earth and Space was published , which was re-edited in 1997 in two volumes Earth and Planets and Stars and Space . Raith also revised volumes 1 and 2 in the following period.
- Volume 1: Mechanics, Acoustics, Warmth. First edition 1943, current 12th edition 2008, ed. by Klaus Lüders ( Free University of Berlin ) and Gebhard von Oppen ( Technical University of Berlin ), ISBN 978-3-11-019311-4
- Volume 2: Electromagnetism. First edition: 1950, current 9th edition 2006, ed. by Wilhelm Raith ( Bielefeld University ), ISBN 3-11-018898-8
- Volume 3: Optics. First edition: 1955, current 10th edition 2004, ed. by Heinz Niederig (TU Berlin), ISBN 3-11-017081-7
- Volume 4: Components of Matter. First edition: Particles. 1992, current 2nd edition 2003, ed. by Wilhelm Raith, ISBN 3-11-016800-6
- Volume 5: Gases, Nanosystems, Liquids. First edition: many-particle systems. 1992, current 2nd edition 2005, ed. by Karl Kleinermanns ( Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf ), ISBN 3-11-017484-7
- Volume 6: Solids. First edition: 1992, current 2nd edition 2005, ed. by Rainer Kassing ( University of Kassel ), ISBN 3-11-017485-5
- Volume 7: Earth and Planets. First edition: 1997, current 2nd edition 2001, ed. by Wilhelm Raith, ISBN 3-11-016837-5
- Volume 8: Stars and Space. First edition: 1997, current 2nd edition 2002, ed. by Wilhelm Raith, ISBN 3-11-016866-9
Discontinued volumes as divided:
- Volume 4: Structure of the matter , first edition: 1975, 1992 divided into new volumes 4 to 6
- Volume 7: Earth and Space , first edition: 1994, 1997 divided into new volumes 7 and 8
- Book review by Walter Greiner , Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main , in the Physik Journal .