Betty Bossi is a fictional cook who has been teaching the Swiss how to cook and housekeeping since 1956. The Betty Bossi brand belongs to Betty Bossi AG, a Swiss company based in Zurich and Basel that has been wholly owned by Coop since December 2012 .
The fictional character Betty Bossi was invented by the copywriter Emmi Creola-Maag for the Unilever company. Betty Bossi was supposed to use simple, sure-fire recipes to promote the increased use of margarine and oil from the Astra and Sais brands in butter-spoiled Switzerland . On April 1, 1956, the first Betty Bossi Post appeared in German and French, and in 1966 it became a subscription newspaper. The first Betty Bossi cookbook, a baking book, was published in 1973. In 1977, Betty Bossi Verlag AG was founded within the Unilever Group. In the meantime, the magazine and the cookbook publisher have become a brand. Unilever sold Betty Bossi to Ringier AG in 1995. Since November 2001, half of the brand has been owned by the media company Ringier and half by the wholesaler Coop.
In 2001 Betty Bossi entered into a cooperation with the Swiss retail company Coop . Since then, Coop has been selling various fresh convenience products under the Betty Bossi label. In the same year the TV show al dente followed , and today Betty Bossi is also present on the World Wide Web with crossover cuisine . The company's net sales in 2018 were CHF 75 million.
On December 21, 2012, Coop took over the 50 percent stake in Betty Bossi from the Ringier media company .
- 10 issues of the recipe magazine Betty Bossi Zeitung annually (German and French) with a circulation of 570,000 copies
- 10 issues per year of the recipe magazine Betty Bossi Zeitung Glutenfrei (German and French), the only gluten-free recipe magazine in Switzerland
- 4 issues per year of the recipe magazine Betty Bossi mix (German and French), the magazine with recipes especially for the Thermomix ®
- 3-4 new cookbooks annually (in German and French) with a total print run of approx. 200,000 copies
- approx. 40 newsletters per year with 550,000 subscribers, including 12 back newsletters
- Approx. 40–50 in-house developments in the field of kitchen and household helpers annually
- Website www.bettybossi.ch with shop / around 2,500,000 visits per month
- Product advice / culinary advice / nutritional advice
- Business to business: food and trend scouting / recipe creation, food styling, shooting / food product development / food consulting: advice, training / licenses
- Around 600 food products for all Coop own brands developed in collaboration with Coop every year
- HU Michel: Company history Sais / Astra . Sais, Zurich 1991 (commemorative publication on the occasion of the 75th company anniversary of Sais Zurich in 1991 and of Astra Steffisburg in 1992).
- Website Betty Bossi AG
- Markus Lischer: Betty Bossi. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Publications by and about Betty Bossi in the Helveticat catalog of the Swiss National Library