Bonino da Campione
Bonino da Campione (* around 1325 in Campione d'Italia ) was an Italian sculptor of the Gothic , who worked 1350-1376. He was probably a student of Giovanni di Balduccio from Pisa and is also mentioned in contemporary documents as one of the sculptors who worked on the Duomo in Milan .
Bonino is one of the Campionesian masters (it. Magistri Campionesi), one of the sculptors of the 14th century, who all came from Campione d'Italia, an Italian enclave in the Swiss Lombardy . Its name da Campione was given because of its origin, but it does not represent a family name. The art of the Campionese was mainly used by the rulers in Milan and Verona to glorify themselves in tombs in churches. Bonino created the tomb of Cansignorio della Scala from the noble family of the Scaliger , the lords of Verona from 1260 to 1387, at the Romanesque church of Santa Maria Antica in Verona in 1375/76 . The richly decorated monument is considered to be the main work of Bonino. Other works include the tomb of Bishop Balduino Lambertini from 1349 in the Cathedral of Brescia and the tomb of Bernabò Visconti from 1363, today in the Castello Sforzesco in Milan.
- P. Schubring: Altichiero and his school: A contribution to the history of Northern Italian painting in the Trecento Leipzig 1898
- Girolamo Luigi Calvi: Notie sulla vita e sulle opere dei principali architetti scultori e pittori che fiorirono in Milano durante il governo dei Visconti e degli Sforza , volume 1. Milan 1859
- Friedrich Müller: The artists of all times and peoples . Stuttgart 1857
- A.Gotthold Meyer: Lombard monuments of the fourteenth century. Giovanni di Balduccio da Pisa and the Campionese. A contribution to the history of northern Italian sculpture . Stuttgart, 1893
- Arthur Kingsley Porter: Lombard Architecture . New Haven 1917
- Pietro Toesca : Storia dell'arte italiana . Turin 1951.
- Corrado Ricci: Manuals di storia dell'arte . Bergamo 1957.
- Touring Club Italiano (ed.): L'arte nel Medio Evo I . Milan 1964
|SURNAME||Bonino da Campione|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1325|
|DATE OF DEATH||14th Century|