Charles Cathcart, 7th Earl Cathcart
life and career
From 1972 to 1975, Cathcart served as a second lieutenant in the Scots Guards . He then worked at CA Ernst and Whinney from 1976 to 1983 and at Hogg Robinson plc in 1983 . From 1987 to 1994 he was director of the Gardner Mountain and Capel-Cure Agencies Ltd and from 1995 to 1996 with the Murray Lawrence Holdings Ltd . Currently (as of February 2011) he is director of the RGA Capital Ltd , the RGA UK Services Ltd and the RGA Reinsurance UK Ltd. , as well as the Vivien Greenock Ltd . He is a member of the Royal Company of Archers and Liveryman of the Merchant Taylor's Company .
He was an associate member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and from 1998 to 2007 Councilor of the Breckland District Council .
Membership in the House of Lords
In 2007 he was elected to the House of Lords in a by-election to replace the deceased Charles Stourton, 26th Baron Mowbray . It was officially launched on March 13, 2007 . He was Whip of the opposition (until 2010) and spokesperson in the following areas: Local government (until 2010), Department for Environment (Food and Rural Affairs ), Northern Ireland (until 2009) and Scotland (from 2009 to 2010).
On the House of Lords website, he mentions rural affairs, the environment and energy as topics of political interest. So far, he has spoken out on topics such as ID cards, churches and cathedrals, climate change, the Housing and Regeneration Bill , and agriculture. In January 2012, Cathcart criticized the government's inadequate response to many states that were not complying with the new European guidelines on laying hens.
He is regularly present on meeting days.
Cathcart married Vivien Clare Skinner, an interior designer by the stage name Vivien Greenock, on September 12, 1981. They have two children: Lady Laura Rosemary Cathcart (* 1984) and Alan George Cathcart, Lord Greenock (* 1986).
- Charles Cathcart at Hansard (English)
- Charles Cathcart, 7th Earl Cathcart at theyworkforyou
- Charles Cathcart, 7th Earl Cathcart at The Public Whip
- Charles Cathcart, 7th Earl Cathcart Official website of the House of Lords
- The Rt Hon the Earl Cathcart - Biography at Debretts
- Maj.-Gen. Charles Alan Andrew Cathcart, 7th Earl Cathcart on thepeerage.com , accessed August 21, 2015.
- Tory peer attacks 'feeble' response to eggs failure Article on BBC News from January 19, 2012
- House of Lords: Members 'expenses Members' expenses on the House of Lords website ; Retrieved September 1, 2012
- Cathcart, Earl (UK, 1814) entry in Cracroftspeerage , accessed October 6, 2012
|current holder of the title|
|SURNAME||Cathcart, Charles, 7th Earl Cathcart|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cathcart, Charles Alan Andrew, 7th Earl Cathcart (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British Conservative politician and peer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 30, 1952|