Claude Nigel Byam Davies
Claude Nigel Byam Davies (born September 1, 1920 , † September 25, 2004 ) was a British ethnologist and American scholar . He has published numerous important works on the Aztecs and Toltecs , mostly under the shortened name of Nigel Davies .
Nigel Davies was born in Hendon , England. After training at the Royal Military College in Sandhurst, he became a lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards of the British Army. During the war he served in the Middle East, Italy and the Balkans. After finishing his military service, he won the Epping parliamentary seat for the Conservative Party , but gave up the seat after a year. He then traveled extensively in Europe and the Middle East and eventually settled in Mexico City . He studied at the Escuela Nacional de Antropología, a specialized training institution in Mexico, where he received the degree of Master of Archeology in 1968, with an ethnohistorical study of the areas independent of the Aztec Empire. He was also the managing director of a factory for industrial glassware in Harlow . He later received a PhD from University College London. The innovative analyzes and interpretations in his monographs on the Aztecs and their predecessors, the Toltecs, are of considerable scientific importance. Later he published more comprehensive overview works without their own scientific goals. For his last two decades he lived in Tijuana .
- Los señoríos independientes del Imperio Azteca. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia, México 1968.
- Los Mexicas, primeros pasos hacia el imperio. Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico 1973.
- The Aztecs, a history. Macmillan, London, 1973, ISBN 0-333-12404-9 . English: The Aztecs. Master of statecraft and creator of high culture. Econ, Düsseldorf, ISBN 3-430-12008-X .
- The Toltecs, until the fall of Tula. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman 1977, ISBN 0-8061-1394-4
- The Toltec heritage, from the fall of Tula to the rise of Tenochtitlan. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman 1980, ISBN 0-8061-1505-X .
- The Aztec Empire, the Toltec resurgence. University of Okalhomas Press, Norman 1987, ISBN 0-8061-2098-3 .
- Human Sacrifice, in history and today. Macmillan, London. 1981 ISBN 0-333-22384-5 . German: Sacrifice and Human Sacrifice: Faith, Love and Despair in the History of Humanity. Ullstein, Frankfurt 1983, ISBN 3-548-32059-7 .
- The Ancient Kingdoms of Mexico. Penguin, Harmondsworth 1982, ISBN 0-14-022232-4 . English: The Sunken Kingdoms of Mexico. Ullstein, Frankfurt 1985, ISBN 3-430-12026-8 .
- The Rampant God, eros throughout the world. Morrow, New York 1984, ISBN 0-688-03094-7 . German: World Garden of Earthly Delights: History of Erotica. Econ, 1985, ISBN 3-430-12018-7 .
- The Incas. University Press of Colorado, Niwot 1995, ISBN 0-87081-360-9 .
- The Ancient Kingdoms of Peru. Penguin, London 1997, ISBN 0-14-023381-4 .
- (with Rudolf Pörtner, Ed.): Old cultures of the New World: new findings in archeology. Econ, Düsseldorf 1980, ISBN 3-430-17523-2 .
- Voyagers to the New World. Morrow, New York 1979, ISBN 0-688-03396-2 . German: Before Columbus came: Origin, ways and development of the ancient American cultures. Econ, Düsseldorf 1976.
- Nigel Davies - Businessman and Conservative MP who determined late in life to become an expert in Aztec history and culture. In: The Times. November 25, 2004.
|SURNAME||Davies, Claude Nigel Byam|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Davies, Nigel|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British ethnologist and American scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 1, 1920|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 25, 2004|