In 1967, when Colin Hay was 14 years old, his parents Jim and Isabella Hay emigrated to Australia with their children . There he met the musician Ron Strykert in the late 1970s. Together with Jerry Speiser, John Rees and Greg Ham, they founded the pop group Men At Work. The band's first album was released in 1981. The release of the song Down Under , on which Hay co-wrote, became an international hit.
After Men at Work broke up in 1985, Hay began a solo career. Since then he has released nine albums. In the German-speaking countries he became known again (in addition to several tours) primarily through a guest role in the first episode of the second season, the second episode of the seventh season and the 19th episode of the eighth season of Scrubs - The Beginners and his contribution to some songs to the soundtracks of Scrubs and Garden State . Both times this was at the request of Zach Braff , who is the lead actor for Scrubs and the writer, director, and lead actor of Garden State.
In 1989 Hay emigrated to California, and in 2016 he became a US citizen. Today Hay lives in Topanga , California , in Los Angeles County. He is married to the singer Cecilia Noël, a native of Peru , who often performs with him and does the backing vocals . He has a brother who lives in Christchurch and a sister who lives in Melbourne.
- 1987: Looking for Jack
- 1990: Wayfaring Sons
- 1992: Peaks & Valleys
- 1994: Topanga
- 1996: Overkill (single)
- 1998: Transcendental Highway
- 2000: Going Somewhere
- 2002: Company of Strangers
- 2003: Man @ Work
- 2007: Are You Lookin 'at Me?
- 2008: Goodbye My Red Rose [Single]
- 2009: American Sunshine
- 2011: Gathering Mercury
- 2015: Next Year People
- 2017: Fierce Mercy (Compass Records)
- biography, allmusic.com
- Matthias Halbig: Men at Work are back - Colin Hay goes on tour through Germany with “Down Under” , in: Ostsee-Zeitung, May 14, 2019.
- Archive link ( Memento from March 12, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Archived copy ( Memento from November 11, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- Colin Hay's website
- Colin Hay in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Colin Hay at Discogs (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hay, Colin James (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Australian musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 29, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kilwinning , Scotland|