|DNV GL AS
|Seat||Høvik , Bærum , Norway|
|management||Remi Eriksen (CEO)|
|Number of employees||12,101 (2018)|
|sales||19.639 billion NOK (2018)|
|Branch||Inspection, testing and certification services|
|As of March 30, 2020|
DNV GL , based in Bærum Municipality (Norway), is an international classification society and expert in technical advice, engineering services, certification and risk management. DNV GL was created in 2013 through a merger of the two leading classification societies Det Norske Veritas (Norway) and Germanischer Lloyd (Germany). DNV GL employs around 12,100 people at 400 locations in 100 countries worldwide.
In terms of total tonnage (GT), DNV GL is currently the largest ship classification society in the world. The portfolio comprises 13,175 ships and MOUs (Mobile Offshore Units) with a total tonnage of 265.4 million GT; this corresponds to a market share of 21 percent. The organization is also a global point of contact for conventional and renewable energies . DNV GL is the world's largest consulting company for onshore and offshore wind turbines as well as tidal and solar energy. The classification society also plays an important role in the oil and gas industry. 65% of the world's offshore pipelines were either built according to DNV GL guidelines or are certified by DNV GL.
The service offerings focus primarily on renewable energies and electrification, the maritime industry and oil and gas. DNV GL is also active in the areas of aviation , the automotive industry, finance, health care, the food and beverage industry as well as software and IT. The company invests around five percent of total sales in research and development every year.
The roots of the classification society go back to 1864. At that time, Det Norske Veritas (DNV) was founded in Norway to carry out technical inspections on Norwegian merchant ships. The Germanischer Lloyd (GL) was founded in 1867 by 600 shipbuilders, shipowners and insurers in Hamburg launched. The merger between DNV and GL was announced on December 20, 2012. After the competition authorities from South Korea, the USA, the EU and China had approved the merger, the merger agreement was signed on September 12, 2013.
Both Germanischer Lloyd and Det Norske Veritas had acquired a number of companies prior to their merger that contributed to the current size of the cross-industry portfolio. These included KEMA (Netherlands), Windtest (Germany), Hélimax Energy (Canada), Garrad Hassan (GB) and Noble Denton (GB).
DNV GL organization
DNV GL has four business areas and an independent business unit:
- DNV GL - Maritime : Classification, verification, risk management and technical advice in the areas of security, performance enhancement and fuel efficiency in the maritime industry, etc. As a classification society, DNV GL creates standards for ships and offshore units, the so-called class rules. These rules contain safety, reliability and environmental protection regulations that ships and mobile offshore units must comply with in international waters. 130 maritime organizations have also authorized DNV GL to carry out certifications and verifications on their behalf.
- DNV GL - Oil & Gas : Technical consultant for the global oil & gas industry, auditing and consulting services in the technical and maritime sector, risk management and offshore classification. DNV GL works with upstream companies in the oil & gas industry to identify and control risks, increase safety and performance, and ensure the development and progress of a project. The company develops standards and best practice approaches as part of joint projects with partners from the industry (JIP - Joint Industry Projects). A large number of industry players come together to develop solutions for a specific technical challenge.
- DNV GL - Energy : Consulting, control and certification services in the global energy sector. This includes the following areas: renewable energies, emissions, energy efficiency, energy generation, energy transmission and distribution. As an independent and recognized certification company for components in the energy sector, DNV GL operates what is currently the largest high-voltage test laboratory in the world. DNV GL is also one of the leading independent consultants in the industry in the field of renewable energies, especially wind energy. The services include wind turbine certification, design consulting, shadow casting reports, site assessment, solar and turbine design, acceptance tests, wind and solar forecasts and front-end engineering. In addition, consulting services are offered in the following areas: energy efficiency, integration of renewable energies, clean conventional power generation, optimization of systems for power generation with renewable resources, transmission and distribution networks, energy storage and cybersecurity.
- DNV GL - Business Assurance : Certification, assessment as well as training and further education offers that support a wide range of customer products, processes and organizations. DNV GL is an accredited certification body. Such bodies certify compliance with guidelines such as ISO 9001 (quality management) or ISO 14001 (environmental management). DNV GL is accredited in 80 countries and has already issued management system certificates to more than 70,000 companies in all industries.
- DNV GL - Software : Development of software for maritime designs, engineering, strength assessment, risk and operational safety assessment, QHSE and asset integrity management. DNV GL develops software for a variety of industries, such as the energy industry (wind farm solutions, etc.), shipping and offshore, petrochemical, refining and healthcare. In the area of risk assessment, DNV GL develops QRA (Quantitative Risk Analysis) software. DNV GL also offers ship management software called ShipManager.
Ships that have been measured by DNV GL bear the letters VL on the loading lines (Plimsoll mark) amidships.
-  , DNV GL, accessed on March 30, 2020.
- Maritime Impact Issue 02-15 , accessed on August 5, 2015.
- DNV GL to unveil rules this year , Tanker Operator, accessed on August 5, 2015.
- Herz siblings sell their stake in the engineering company DNV GL. (No longer available online.) Die Zeit , December 14, 2017, archived from the original on December 17, 2017 ; accessed on December 16, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- DNV GL Annual Report 2018. Accessed March 30, 2020 (English).