David Gordon Blackbourn (born November 1, 1949 in Spilsby ) is a British historian who specializes in German and modern European history. He has been the Cornelius Vanderbilt Distinguished Chair of History at Vanderbilt University since 2012 . Previously, he was Coolidge Professor of History at Harvard University , where he was head of the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies .
After his doctorate at Jesus College of Cambridge University in 1976 taught Blackbourn initial period of 16 years at the University of London , before moving in 1992 to the United States to conduct research at Harvard University. In 2012 he moved from there to Vanderbilt University in the US state of Tennessee .
Blackbourn received early attention with Mythen deutscher Historschschrift (1980, not until 1984 in English as The Peculiarities of German History ; with Geoff Eley), a critique of the thesis of the “ German Sonderweg ”. Most recently, Die Eroberung der Natur (2006, German 2007) appeared, a story of the development of German rivers and moorland landscapes in modern times with a chapter on National Socialism , in which Blackbourn talks about genocide , the nimbus of the border, under the heading "Race and Land Reclamation" "Wild East" and the war of conquest, which ended in a war of extermination, writes as "Indian Wars".
In addition to teaching and researching, Blackbourn is co-editor of Past & Present ; Academic advisor to the “ Leibniz Institute for European History ” in Mainz and the Friends of the German Historical Institute in Washington . 1998–1999 and 2000–2002 he was director of the history department at Harvard; 2003–2004 President of the Central European History Committee of the American Historical Association .
In 2007 Blackbourn was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences .
- Class, Religion, and Local Politics in Wilhelmine Germany. The Center Party in Württemberg before 1914. Steiner, Wiesbaden 1980, ISBN 3-515-03298-3 .
- (with Geoff Eley ) The Peculiarities of German History: Bourgeois Society and Politics in Nineteenth-Century Germany. Oxford University Press, Oxford / New York 1984, ISBN 0-19-873058-6 ( online ).
- Populists and Patricians: Essays in Modern German History. Allen & Unwin, London / Boston 1987, ISBN 0-04-943047-5 .
- Popular piety and belief in progress in the Kulturkampf . Steiner, Stuttgart 1988, ISBN 3-515-05045-0 .
- (Ed. With Richard J. Evans ) The German Bourgeoisie: Essays on the Social History of the German Middle Class from the Late Eighteenth to the Early Twentieth Century. Routledge, London / New York 1991, ISBN 0-415-03597-X .
Marpingen: Apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Nineteenth-Century Germany. Knopf, New York 1994, ISBN 0-679-41843-1 .
- Translation: "When you see her again, ask her who she is". Apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Marpingen - the rise and fall of German Lourdes. Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 1997, ISBN 3-498-00583-9 .
- The Long Nineteenth Century: A History of Germany, 1780-1918. Oxford University Press, Oxford / New York 1998, ISBN 0-19-507671-0 .
- A Sense of Place: New Directions in German History. German Historical Institute, London 1999, ISBN 0-9533570-2-3 .
The Conquest of Nature: Water, Landscape, and the Making of Modern Germany. Cape, London 2006, ISBN 0-224-06071-6 .
- Translation: The Conquest of Nature: A History of the German Landscape. Translated by Udo Rennert. DVA, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-421-05958-1 .
- Literature by and about David Blackbourn in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page by David Blackbourn at Vanderbilt University
- History of the Historian , article on David Blackbourn in Harvard Magazine , July / August 2006
- Short biography and reviews of works by David Blackbourn at perlentaucher.de
- Review of "When you see her again, ask who she is" at H-Soz-u-Kult
- The International Who's Who 2001. 64th edition. Routledge, London 2000, p. 162.
- New faculty: David Blackbourn communes with the past , Presentation of Blackbourn on the pages of Vanderbilt University, November 28, 2012 (accessed October 15, 2013).
- David Blackbourn: The conquest of nature: A history of the German landscape. DVA, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-421-05958-1 , Chapter 5, pp. 307-376.
- Book of Members 1780 – present, Chapter B. (PDF; 1.2 MB) In: American Academy of Arts and Sciences (amacad.org). Retrieved May 17, 2020 (English).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Blackbourn, David Gordon|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Spilsby|