Douglas was a scarlet macaw that attracted media attention in April 2016 because it was about to be euthanized again. The docile parrot, who could speak and sing 50 words in Swedish, starred in a 1970 Pippi Longstocking film.
In 1970 Douglas played the parrot Rosalinda in the film Pippi in Taka-Tuka-Land , who kept Pippi's father company as a spy in the dungeon. The pirates who captured Captain Longstocking hoped to find out where his treasure was hiding. Douglas was three years old at the time.
Until the beginning of 2016, Douglas spent his old age in a tropical house in Malmö . As early as 2003 he was supposed to be killed at the instigation of the authorities, since no certificates of origin were available. 50,000 signatures were collected in favor of the parrot; The actress Inger Nilsson , former actress of Pippi Longstocking, also took part in the action. The original owner was finally able to prove that Douglas was legally imported from Brazil in 1967.
When it became known in 2016 that the Swedish Ministry of Agriculture was demanding a larger aviary for 49-year-old Douglas and his roommate Gojan, or, alternatively, that the two birds be euthanized, protests broke out across Europe. There were numerous offers to take over the birds.
Ultimately, the Karlsruhe Zoo took in the macaws Douglas and Gojan. In a large outdoor aviary, the two could now stay outside. Since Douglas could no longer fly due to his old age, the aviary was set up to be particularly easy to climb. Both should have more companions. In September 2016, the more than 45-year-old female golden macaw Gojan died.
Douglas died of old age on February 23, 2019 at the age of 51.
- Douglas in the zoological city garden Karlsruhe (video)
- Rosalinda, the Pippi Longstocking parrot in Karlsruhe - report on the relocation to Karlsruhe (video)
- Sigrid Harms: Parrot from "Pippi Longstocking": Douglas must die . Spiegel Online , April 7, 2016
- Parrot from "Pippi Longstocking": Hope for Douglas . Spiegel Online, April 12, 2016
- Pippi's parrot is allowed to live on - in Karlsruhe . Der Tagesspiegel , April 14, 2016
- “Rosalinda” moves to Karlsruhe Zoo . SWR , April 14, 2016
- Dpa: Karlsruhe: Retirement home: Karlsruhe Zoo rescues Pippi-Longstocking's parrot. Badische Zeitung, May 11, 2016, accessed on May 12, 2016 .
- dpa: Southwest: ANIMALS. Badische Zeitung, May 25, 2016, accessed on May 25, 2016 .
- Parrot from "Pippi Longstocking" - Ara Douglas is now a widower . Spiegel Online, September 23, 2016
- ka-news.de: "Rosalinda" is dead: Pippi Longstocking's parrot dies in the Karlsruhe Zoo. February 24, 2019, accessed February 24, 2019 .