Electronic Protocols Application Software
Electronic Protocols Application Software ( EPAS ) is a project in the context of SEPA activities ( European Payment Area ), which aims to standardize the protocols for cashless payment solutions across Europe.
The integration of cashless payment solutions in cash register, kiosk and machine solutions is - from an international perspective - often difficult due to the different protocols and the lack of official interface standards. Internationally standardized interface concepts have so far only been implemented on the basis of the specifications of a few private organizations and companies.
The EPAS project is classified as a European funding project.
Scope of standardization
The EPAS project is divided into three sub-projects:
- Protocol between acquirer and payment solution
- Protocol between payment solution and checkout
- Terminal management protocol
The interdisciplinary specialist knowledge required for the individual sub-projects is brought in by the specialized project participants involved. In the course of the EPAS project:
- Development, testing and certification tools
- Pilot project
- Source: »EPAS« press report (Version No. 1.0) - EPAS Consortium - Draft of February 5, 2006
The selection of the 22 project participants was made under the conditions that:
- the necessary technical specialist knowledge in as diverse a way as possible
- the required knowledge of payment solutions from as many countries in the European Union as possible
is introduced representatively.
The participating companies represent experiences from the banking, retail and petrol station sectors as well as integration experiences of leading payment and cash register solution providers.
The EPAS project was officially launched on January 1, 2006 and will run for 32 months, which will end with the piloting of the protocols.
Participating companies and institutions
- Europay Austria Payment Systems GmbH
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne
- Galitt Group
- Groupement des Cartes Bancaire
- Lyra Network
- PAN Nordic Card Association
- RSC Commercial Services: http
- SRC Security Research & Consulting GmbH
- Thales e-Transactions
- Wincor Nixdorf
- Scheidt & Bachmann
Literature / sources
- "Standardization work in European payment transactions - opportunities for SEPA" SRC - Security Research & Consulting GmbH, Bonn - Wiesbaden, 2006, pp. 5, 11 (PDF set of slides)
- William Vanobberghen, "Le Projet EPAS - Sécurité, protection des personnes et des donnée: de nouvelles technologies et des standards pour fiabiliser le contrôle et l'identification", Groupement des Cartes Bancaires, June 27, 2006 (PPT slide set)
- Hans-Rainer Frank, “SEPA from the perspective of a European petrol station operator”, ePayment working group, Brussels, May 11, 2006, p. 11 (PDF set of slides)