|legal form||Société Anonyme|
|Seat||Courbevoie , France|
|management||Patrick Pouyanné ( CEO )|
|Number of employees||107,776 (2019)|
|sales||EUR 200.3 billion (2019)|
With a sales volume of 155.8 billion US dollars (as of 2017), it is the fourth largest mineral oil company and the eighth largest industrial company in the world. Totally employs around 99,000 people in 130 countries (2016). The company produces oil and gas in 30 countries. Total SA shares are included in the CAC 40 index and are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and Euronext in Paris.
In the Forbes Global 2000 of the world's largest companies, Total ranks 26th (as of FY 2017). Total came to a market value of around USD 168 billion in mid-2018.
Corporate structure Europe
In Europe, Total operates a network of 12,062 Total petrol stations in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany and the UK. In Spain and Portugal Total holds a stake of 48.83% in CEPSA and in Italy 49% in TotalErg .
In addition to the “Total” brand, the company operates various low-price brands mainly in France.
Total operates a network of 579 “AS24” filling stations in France, primarily for commercial transport. The company also operates 280 " Elf " petrol stations and 1900 "Elan" petrol stations, mainly in rural areas.
Since 2010, total petrol stations under the brand "Elan" (so-called "T-Station" or "Tankcenter") have also been increasingly operated in Germany.
Subsidiary in Germany
Total Deutschland GmbH is based in Tour Total Berlin in the new city quarter at the main station.
In 2017, the German petrol station network comprised the third largest petrol station network in Germany with over 1200 stations. Around 4,000 people worked for Total Deutschland GmbH in 2010, including around 1,800 employees in the chemical sector, around 1,500 employees in sales and around 700 employees in processing; in 2017 there were a total of 3,000.
The Total Raffinerie Mitteldeutschland was put into operation in 1997 after a three-year construction period. It has a crude oil processing capacity of 12 million tons per year and produces around three million tons of gasoline, five million tons of diesel and roughly the same amount of light heating oil annually. About 1,300 filling stations in the catchment area of the refinery are supplied with products from Leuna. On an area of around 320 hectares, the refinery processes an average of 30,000 tons of crude oil per day, which is fed into the storage tanks via pipelines mainly from Russia .
Another subsidiary in Germany was Atotech Deutschland GmbH, headquartered in Berlin, with plant production in Feucht and chemical production in Werder and Trebur. This company specializes mainly in the electroplating industry. Atotech emerged from the chemical industry of the pharmaceutical manufacturer Schering and was bought by Elf. At the end of 2016 Atotech was sold by Total to the Carlyle Group .
In 1980, Total operated 313 petrol stations in West Germany , 173 of which were self-service.
In 1999 the French Total took over the Belgian competitor Petrofina . In 2000 , the resulting Totalfina finally merged with the old French rival Elf Aquitaine . For a short time the company was called TotalFinaElf. Total's activities include crude oil and natural gas exploration , power generation and transportation, and the production of various chemicals . During the civil war in Syria , Total SA announced that it would temporarily cease its activities in Syria.
For the construction of a gas pipeline from Myanmar to Thailand by Total and Unocal in the Yadana project , the villages in this area are said to have been largely destroyed and the population relocated in order to protect the pipeline from raids. The documented cases of forced labor, displacement and murder resulted in a trial against Total in the United States . The documentary Total Denial shows the background. The opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi described Total as the best pillar of the military regime .
According to the Black Book of Brand Companies , Total is the largest oil producer in Africa. Together with ExxonMobil and Royal Dutch Shell, the company pumps crude oil from the deep sea off the coast of Angola , thereby threatening coral reefs and the sensitive ecosystem of the deep sea.
Greenpeace and other NGOs hold TotalFinalElf and the Swiss Elf-Trading responsible for the oil spill in Western Siberia , as they get their oil from the Druzhba pipeline , through which most of the oil produced there is marketed. However, Greenpeace's complaint to the OECD was not accepted for formal reasons.
- German website of Total SA
- Total SA website
- Early documents and newspaper articles on the total in the press kit of the 20th century of the ZBW - Leibniz Information Center for Economics .
- Patrick Pouyanné becomes the new Total boss In: Handelsblatt . October 22, 2014, accessed December 29, 2014.
- Biographies des membres du conseil d'administration. In: total.com. Retrieved July 13, 2016 (French).
- Total career information. In: total.de. Retrieved March 17, 2016 .
- Total SA - balance sheet income statement. In: finanzen.net. Retrieved July 15, 2020 .
- Total SA - sales up to 2014. In: statista.com. Retrieved March 17, 2016 .
- The World's Largest Public Companies . In: Forbes . ( forbes.com [accessed July 17, 2018]).
- TOP CELEBRATION FOR NEW AUTHORITY IN COSWIG (ANHALT) TOTAL and SVG are expanding their cooperation and strengthening the offer for drivers and haulage companies along the highways. In: de.total.com. TOTAL, October 20, 2017, accessed on March 14, 2018 (press release).
- The company. In: total.de. Archived from the original on October 18, 2010 ; Retrieved February 26, 2011 .
- TOTAL Raffinerie Mitteldeutschland GmbH. In: total.de. Archived from the original on October 16, 2010 ; Retrieved February 26, 2011 .
- Syria wants to accept observers. In: euronews.net.
- Total: l'heritage de la fusion. In: journaldunet.com.
- kurier.at ( Memento from October 12, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Clip Total Denial ( Memento from September 14, 2012 in the web archive archive.today ) In: totaldenialfilm.com. (English).
- Klaus Werner-Lobo, Hans Weiss: Black Book Brand Companies. The world in the grip of the corporations . Deuticke Verlag, 2014, ISBN 978-3-552-06259-7 , pp. 298 .
- Igor Gavrilov (author), Greenpeace Germany (ed.): Petroleum - Siberia sinks in oil. In: Danger to the environment, climate, people The dirty trail of black gold. 2002. (PDF, p. 11.)
- Complaints not accepted for detailed examination at the German National Contact Point for the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises. Publication by the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, July 30, 2014 (PDF).