|Schneider Electric SE
|legal form||Societas Europaea|
|Seat||Rueil-Malmaison , Hauts-de-Seine department , France|
|management||Jean-Pascal Tricoire , President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Number of employees||142,000|
|sales||24.7 billion euros (FY 2017)|
|As of December 31, 2017|
Schneider Electric SE is a listed electrical engineering group active in the fields of electrical power distribution and industrial automation . The company is based in Rueil-Malmaison near Paris and is represented in around 150 countries.
Adolphe and Eugène Schneider founded the Schneider-Creusot and Schneider & Cie steelworks on 280 hectares in Le Creusot , France , in 1836 . and were among the great pioneering companies in France. They worked in the fields of steel and heavy industry , heavy engineering and equipment as well as facilities for transportation and traffic . After Schneider was already a specialist in the armaments field , the company turned to the emerging electrical market and built its first electric locomotive in 1905 .
In Le Havre there were also armaments works Schneider & Cie. who from 1903 built vehicles together with the engineer Eugène Brillié and later also armored cars ( Schneider CA1 ) and artillery pieces ( Canon de 105 mle 1913 Schneider ) .
In 1929 the company merged with Westinghouse , a large international electrical group, to form Le Matériel Electrique Schneider & Westinghouse . After the Second World War , the company gradually gave up the manufacture of weapons and focused on civilian needs. Schneider became known as a construction company, steel manufacturer, electrical engineering supplier and supplier to the nuclear power industry.
In 1950, under the management of Charles Schneider, the name was changed to the Schneider SA holding company. The company pursued an acquisition policy and in 1957 became a member of the 50 Hz working group for the marketing of rail electrification with 25 kV 50 Hz.
In August 1960, the company owner Charles Schneider died unexpectedly, and the company was taken over by Édouard-Jean Empain in 1963 and merged with his companies to form Empain-Schneider . Empain placed more emphasis on short-term profitability. The declining steel business brought the company more and more into trouble.
In 1964, the Jeumont-Schneider company was formed through a merger with Forges et Ateliers de Construction Electriques de Jeumont . The railway division was sold to Alstom in 1968 .
In 1981, Édouard-Jean Empain sold his shares in the company to Paribas .
The takeover of Telemecanique followed in 1988 and the American company Square D in 1991 . Other areas were separated for this purpose: In 1992, Jeumont-Schneider Industries was sold to Framatome . In 1994 the acquired companies Merlin Gerin , Telemecanique and Square D were integrated into the Groupe Schneider, but the names continued there as core brands. In addition, the automation technology (Modicon) was purchased from AEG .
In 1996, the group separated from the construction company Spie Batignolles.
The focus of Groupe Schneider on the field of electrical engineering was emphasized in 1999 with the new name Schneider Electric SA .
Between 2000 and 2005, the company expanded its fields of activity, including scanning technology, motion control, and building automation and security. The company continued to expand by taking over the above companies from 2000 to the present day, while they remain independent.
In 2007, Schneider acquired the Friedhelm Loh Group's subsidiary Ritto, which is active in the area of door intercom systems . Since then, this brand has been geared more towards the area of building automation and will be continued.
The companies Schneider Electric Power Drives and Sarel were fully integrated into Schneider Electric in 2008, with Sarel continuing to exist as a brand. In February 2007, American Power Conversion (APC), a manufacturer of power and cooling solutions, was taken over.
In 2010 Areva sold T&D (power transmission and distribution) to a consortium of Schneider Electric and Alstom . 22,000 employees were affected by the sale. The sales price was around four billion euros. The antitrust authorities agreed. AREVA's sale of T&D was necessary to refinance the share buyback from Siemens and the billions of euros above budget for the construction of the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant in Finland. In 2011 this area was renamed Schneider Electric Energy .
In early 2014 Schneider Electric bought Invensys .
According to a report by the German television magazine FAKT ( MDR ) on September 27, 2016, a surveillance system investigated by the German Federal Intelligence Service in 2005 contained that of the US company NetBotz Inc., which has been part of the Schneider Group since 2007, preferred to government agencies and high-tech - and armaments manufacturer was sold, providing backdoor access for US intelligence agencies. However, the authority did not pass this information on to other agencies due to feared political effects (see Federal Intelligence Service # NetBotz Affair 2016 ). It was not until 2015 that the German Federal Prosecutor's Office started the relevant investigation. In September 2016, Schneider Electrics stated at the request of the MDR that it had not been informed of these events by either German or French authorities. In December 2016, the group announced that it had checked the devices and could not understand the allegations. At that time, many German companies, some of which were security-relevant, and large corporations such as Volkswagen , Deutsche Bank and Deutsche Telekom were using server monitoring systems from NetBotz. The Federal Prosecutor's Office concluded a preliminary examination in spring 2016 and did not initiate any formal investigations due to the statute of limitations . The office of the French Prime Minister stated on request that the matter was subject to "the highest level of national secrecy".
Schneider Electric operates in two main areas:
- In the field of equipping medium-voltage networks and low-voltage networks for power distribution to the end consumer
- Industrial automation, control, monitoring, protection and monitoring of machines and systems in industry, infrastructure and buildings
Schneider Electric GmbH , the German branch with headquarters in Ratingen , employs 4,754 people in Germany who produce and market electrotechnical products in one plant and several distributors. Further facilities are located in Seligenstadt , Leinfelden-Echterdingen , Marktheidenfeld , Berlin , Mannheim , Hamburg , Lahr , Leipzig , Magdeburg , Dresden , Regensburg , Wiehl , Sondershausen , Oberhausen and Hanover .
The Group's former core brands are Telemecanique, Merlin Gerin and Square D. These companies were initially taken over by Groupe Schneider and the names continued as brands. Merlin Gerin, Telemecanique and Square D have been fully integrated into Schneider Electric since spring 2008. However, the areas of activity will continue at Schneider Electric.
These group companies based in Germany are also part of the company:
- Citect GmbH - human-machine communication, monitoring / control / data acquisition (SCADA), production control systems (MES)
- Crouzet GmbH - automation and control technology
- EBERLE Controls GmbH - House and building automation (heating and air conditioning control)
- ELAU GmbH - control and automation technology for the packaging industry
- ELSO GmbH - electrical installation devices for residential and functional buildings
- Kavlico GmbH - Sensor technology for automotive, aircraft and medical technology - Sold in 2013 to The Carlyle Group a spin-off from Texas Instruments
- Merten GmbH - building installation technology
- Messner Gebäudetechnik GmbH - building automation technology
- MGE UPS systems - uninterruptible power supplies
- Schneider Electric Motion Deutschland GmbH - robotics and positioning technology
- Schneider Electric Buildings Deutschland GmbH - Building Automation Technology (formerly TAC)
- Schneider Electric Systems Germany GmbH - automation systems and industrial software (formerly Invensys Systems GmbH)
- Schneider Electric Automation GmbH - automation technology (founded in 2008 from Schneider Electric GmbH in Seligenstadt)
- Schneider Electric Sachsenwerk GmbH - construction of medium voltage systems
- ABN GmbH - manufacturer of meter space and distribution technology (since April 1, 2017)
Industrial control and automation technology
- Detection technology (mechanical position switches , light barriers / optoelectronic sensors , pressure and vacuum switches , inductive proximity switches )
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and industrial communication
- Process control systems
- safety-related controls
- Electronic drive technology (frequency converters, soft starters and servo drives )
- Motor output technology ( contactor , motor protection switch , motor protection relay , disconnector )
- Industrial security technology
- Human-machine dialogue
- Motion & Drives (positioning and automation)
Energy distribution in low and medium voltage technology
- DIN-rail devices ( circuit breakers / circuit breakers )
- Circuit breakers and switch disconnectors
- Busbar trunking system
- Protection systems and control units
- Compensation technology
- Distribution systems from 63 A to 7500 A.
- Building installation technology
- Building communication
- Electrical installation
- Meter spaces and small installation distributors
- Converter systems
- Network connection cabinets for renewable energies
- Schneider Electric . schneider-electric.com. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- company. In: schneider-electric.com. Retrieved March 14, 2019 .
- Amandus Jäger: Business. In: ajaeger.ch. Retrieved April 10, 2016 .
- Schneider Electric, 170 years of history. Schneider Electric, accessed April 10, 2016 .
- Schneider Electric takes over Invensys ( Memento of the original from May 29, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. 17th January 2014
- Merger control: Commission approves acquisition of Invensys by Schneider Electric in the field of automation and control technology , europa.eu, November 29, 2013
- BND scandal: NetBotz apparently builds back doors in its cameras Der Spiegel from September 27, 2016
- The NSA looks through the back door to ZEIT Online from September 27, 2016
- German corporations apparently affected by US espionage. FAKT exclusive, December 13, 2016.
- No investigations into BND backdoor scandal - Attorney General cites statute of limitations . FAKT exclusive, October 5th, 2016.
- Locations in Germany. Retrieved September 12, 2019 .