|Texas Instruments Incorporated
|founding||December 6, 1930 (as Geophysical Service)|
|Seat||Dallas , United States|
|management||Richard K. Templeton, Chairman, President and CEO|
|Number of employees||29,768|
|sales||$ 14.38 billion (2019)|
|Branch||Electronics , semiconductors|
|As of December 31, 2019|
The Texas Instruments Incorporated , often called TI called, is one of the largest US technology company based in Dallas , Texas . The European headquarters of the group is located in Freising in Upper Bavaria . TI is one of the largest semiconductor manufacturers worldwide , in 7th place as of 2013.
Texas Instruments mainly manufactures semiconductors , consisting of a wide variety of analog components such as power management, operational amplifiers, data converters and digital components such as digital signal processors , microcontrollers and multi-core processors for industrial and automotive applications. Another business area is the digital light processing chips (DLP) for projectors and pocket calculators .
In the Forbes Global 2000 of the world's largest companies, Texas Instruments ranks 412 (as of fiscal year 2017). The company had a market value of around US $ 107 billion in mid-2018.
The company was founded in 1951 by Cecil Howard Green , Jon Erik Jonsson, Eugene McDermott and Henry Bates Peacock and emerged from the predecessor company Geophysical Service Incorporated (GSI), which was founded by Eugene McDermott in 1930. All four founding members were employees at GSI.
On October 18, 1954, the company announced the world's first transistor radio , which had been developed by it, but was sold by another company, and which came on the market for the Christmas business (see Regency TR-1 ).
1958 at Texas Instruments was by Jack S. Kilby , the first integrated circuit ( " integrated circuit " IC) developed and followed in the 1960s TTL chips of the " 7400 " series. Initially, these were ICs with a few simple logic functions ( NAND gates , NOR gates, etc.), which later became more and more complex. Since ICs initially only gained acceptance, Kilby developed a small computing machine based on them as a prototype. Texas Instruments looked for and finally found a buyer for the new technology in Canon's office machine division : Their "Pocketronic" from 1970 was the first pocket calculator with an integrated circuit . In the course of the rapid success of the pocket calculator, Texas Instruments launched its first product on the market in April 1972 with the TI-2500 Datamath .
The company is one of the pioneers in the field of home computers . In 1979 the group brought the less successful TI-99/4 onto the market, which had the advanced TMS9900 microprocessor , but only had limited graphics capabilities and a stiff rubber keyboard . The TI-99 / 4A , presented to the public in 1981, was much more successful and is considered the world's first affordable 16-bit home computer for private customers. At least 2.5 million units of the computer, which was significantly improved compared to the previous model, had been sold by 1984.
The company was also very successful in the armaments sector. a. the AGM-88 HARM air-to-surface missile , and as part of the AAWS-M (Advance Anti-tank Weapon System-Medium) project from 1990 (together with Martin Marietta ) an anti-tank guided missile known today as the FGM-148 Javelin . In 1997, however, the armaments division was sold to Raytheon .
In 1997 the company sold its software division to Sterling Software, which was acquired by Computer Associates (now CA, Inc. ) in 2000 . In 2000, Texas Instruments took over Burr-Brown , one of the leading and well-known manufacturers of integrated analog circuits at the time.
Today the company is also one of the largest chip manufacturers in the world. In 2006, TI was ranked 167th on the Global 500 largest companies list.
On May 14, 2009, the company announced the acquisition of Luminary Micro, which specializes in ARM microcontrollers. The Austin-based company Luminary Micro had 65 employees at the time and offered ARM microcontrollers with Cortex-M3 architecture . Luminary Micro was the first licensee of the Cortex-M3 architecture and was the first manufacturer to offer microcontrollers of this type under the name Stellaris . In 2006, Luminary Micro received four awards from experts for its microcontrollers. a. from eeTimes and EDN.
On September 23, 2011, the company (as announced on April 5, 2011) acquired rival National Semiconductor for $ 6.5 billion ($ 25 per share).
Brian Crutcher was promoted to CEO on June 1, 2018 after 22 years with the company, but resigned 6 weeks later in July. He was accused of "violating the code of conduct". It was permanently taken over by its predecessor, Rich Templeton.
- Annual Report 2019 (PDF)
- Semiconductor Sales Recover in 2013; Micron Surges to Fourth Place in Global Chip Market. December 3, 2013, accessed March 1, 2014 .
- DAC8775: 4-20mA DAC for industrial process control systems. Retrieved April 1, 2017 .
- Texas Instruments Portfolio. Retrieved January 1, 2017 .
- The World's Largest Public Companies . In: Forbes . ( forbes.com [accessed July 17, 2018]).
- 40 years of electric adders - the first IC-based calculating machines at Spiegel Online on Sept. 27, 2007, accessed on June 20, 2014
- See Alex Games et al. Kurt D. Squire: “Searching for the Fun in Learning. A Historical Perspective on the Evolution of Educational Video Games, "In: Computer Games and Instruction. Edited by Sigmund Tobias u. JD Fletcher. Charlotte: Information-Age-Publishing (2011), p. 22.
- Texas Instruments Model 99 / 4A Personal Computer. National Museum of American History, accessed February 28, 2014 .
- Pilum High: The Javelin Anti-Armor Missile , Defense Industry Daily. August 15, 2007.
- Texas Instruments ranks No. 167 on the 2006 FORTUNE 500 , Fortune. April 18, 2006.
- Holger Heller: Takeover of Luminary Micro expands MCU range. In: Electronics Practice. May 15, 2009, accessed August 2, 2012 .
- Texas Instruments buys Luminary Micro. In: Austin Business Journal. May 15, 2009, accessed August 2, 2012 .
- ARM Welcomes TI Acquisition of Luminary Micro. May 15, 2009, accessed August 2, 2012 .
- Luminary Micro Wins Four Industry Media Awards in 2006 for Stellaris (R) Family of Microcontrollers. January 1, 2007, accessed August 2, 2012 .
- Texas Instruments completes acquisition of National Semiconductor , Texas Instruments. October 18, 2011. Archived from the original on January 12, 2012.
- Head of Texas Instruments resigned surprisingly orf.at, July 18, 2018, accessed on July 18, 2018.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKL6PFb_e3g Texas Instruments SR-10 & SR-50 Calculators, youtube.com, crusinscamp, Video (04:45), August 9, 2011, accessed on July 12 2016. - English.