|Microchip Technology Incorporated
|Seat||Chandler , Arizona ,|
|management||Steve Sanghi ( CEO )|
|Number of employees||14,234|
|sales||3,980,000,000 US dollars|
|As of March 31, 2018|
Microchip Technology Inc. was founded in 1989 as semiconductor manufacturers from the Group General Instrument spun off . The first PICmicros , PIC16C54, date from this time . The company's stock is listed on the NASDAQ New York Stock Exchange. Own semiconductor factories produce almost 100% of all semiconductors in Tempe , Arizona and Gresham , Oregon.
In 2010, Microchip acquired Silicon Storage Technology, a manufacturer of memory modules. In May 2012, Microchip took over SMSC, a company known for products in the automotive MOST bus area, among others . The network USB controller (LAN9512 / 14) used on the Raspberry Pi also originally came from SMSC.
In 2014, Microchip took over the mixed-signal semiconductor manufacturer Supertex.
In 2015, Microchip bought power management specialist Micrel for US $ 839 million .
In January 2016, Atmel accepted the acquisition by Microchip, breaking an agreement previously made with Dialog Semiconductor . The acquisition makes Microchip the third largest microcontroller provider after Renesas and NXP Semiconductors . The acquisition was completed in April 2016.
In March 2018, Microchip announced its intention to acquire Microsemi for approximately $ 8.35 billion to strengthen its position in the aerospace and defense sectors. The acquisition is expected to close in the second quarter of 2018.
The best-known product series include the PIC microcontrollers and AVR microcontrollers , which are also very popular with amateur electronics enthusiasts. Microchip also provides the necessary development environments (hardware and software) for this. In the environment of the microcontroller temperature and power semiconductors in the portfolio as well as interface modules (different x / y converter as analog / digital, digital / analog, frequency / voltage and voltage / frequency and interfaces in computer technical sense as serial interface , CAN -, infrared - and Ethernet interfaces, etc.) and memories (serial and parallel EEPROMs ). There are also different modules for the so-called radio frequency identification , as well as the so-called KeeLoq series, which is suitable for authentication .
- Annual Report 2018 , accessed March 30, 2019
- Mathias Bloch elektroniknet.de: Microchip takes over Silicon Storage Technology. Retrieved April 4, 2019 .
- Christof Windeck: Microchip buys SMSC. In: heise online. Heise Zeitschriften Verlag, May 3, 2012, accessed on October 1, 2013 (German).
- Microchip Technology and Supertex Announce the Completion of the Acquisition of Supertex by Microchip Technology. Business Wire , April 1, 2014, accessed November 8, 2018 .
- Heinz Arnold: Microchip buys Micrel. Unbridled consolidation. Markt & Technik , May 22, 2015, accessed November 8, 2018 .
- RuMaS market report: Dialog Semiconductor: Atmel takeover off the table - price rises! (No longer available online.) January 18, 2016, archived from the original on January 18, 2016 ; accessed on January 18, 2016 .
- Dylan McGrath: Consolidation Redrawing microcontroller Landscape. EE Times , January 21, 2016, accessed January 25, 2016 .
- Microchip Technology completes Atmel Acquisition. (PDF) Microchip Technology, April 4, 2016, accessed April 6, 2016 .
- Microchip to buy Microsemi for about $ 8.35 billion. In: Technology News. Reuters , March 1, 2018, accessed March 12, 2018 .