|Seat||North Chicago , Illinois , USA|
|management||Richard A. Gonzalez, Chairman & CEO|
|Number of employees||approx. 30,000 (2020)|
|sales||approx. 33.3 billion US dollars (2019)|
|Branch||Biotechnology , pharmacy|
The biotechnology and pharmaceutical company Abbvie , its own spelling AbbVie , was founded in 2013 as a spin-off from Abbott Laboratories and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange NYSE in the S&P 100 index under the symbol "ABBV". The company, which is based in North Chicago in the US state of Illinois , is active in the fields of immunology , oncology and virology, among others . Worldwide sales amounted to 33.3 billion in 2019 dollars . AbbVie ranks 137th in the Forbes Global 2000 of the world's largest companies (as of fiscal year 2017).
Therapy and research areas
Abbvie works and researches in the therapeutic areas of hepatitis C , rheumatoid arthritis , psoriasis , multiple sclerosis , oncology , Alzheimer's , Parkinson's , multiple myeloma and endometriosis . Abbvie's top- selling product is the “ blockbuster ” adalimumab , which is sold under the trade name Humira . The drugs Viekirax and Exviera for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C have been available in Germany since January 2015. The tablets without interferons should rid around 97 percent of all patients of the virus.
Abbvie Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG is based in Wiesbaden . The company operates a research and production site in Ludwigshafen am Rhein with 1900 employees, which goes back to the pharmaceutical company Knoll , which was founded in 1886 and sold by BASF to Abbott in 2001 . The capital office in Berlin is used for lobbying. Abbvie employs around 2,600 people in Germany. The managing directors are Olaf Weppner, Hendrik von Büren, Christian Maurer and Robert Michael.
Takeovers and takeover attempts
- In July 2014, British-Irish competitor Shire agreed to be acquired by Abbvie for £ 32 billion after rejecting four previous offers. In the course of the takeover Abbvie wanted to relocate its legal headquarters to Saint Helier on the British Channel Island of Jersey for tax reasons , but the management should remain in the USA. The new company would have a market capitalization of $ 137 billion and employ 30,000 people. In the course of the negotiations, however, Abbvie withdrew his offer.
- In March 2015, after the failed acquisition of Shire, Abbvie announced plans to buy Pharmacyclics for $ 21 billion. Pharmacyclics specializes in oncology and is best known for the cancer drug ibrutinib under the trade name Imbruvica .
- On June 25, 2019, AbbVie announced that it had plans to acquire the pharmaceutical company Allergan . AbbVie valued Allergan in its offer at $ 63 billion. The takeover took place after approval by the American Federal Trade Commission and the Irish High Court on May 8, 2020.
- In May 2016 Abbvie and Biogen announced that they had received US approval for the jointly developed monoclonal antibody daclizumab for the treatment of multiple sclerosis .
- In March 2017, Abbvie and M2Gen announced that they had jointly joined the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network® (ORIEN) Avatar Research Program. ORIEN is a national research partnership of 15 leading US cancer centers that have come together to jointly research, treat and ultimately cure cancer.
- In June 2017 AbbVie announced that it with Principia Biopharma to cooperate on the exploration of oral - "first-in-class" - immunoproteasome - inhibitor is received.
- Abbvie: AbbVie Reports Full-Year and Fourth-Quarter 2019 Financial Results. February 7, 2020, accessed on February 8, 2020 .
- About AbbVie. AbbVie, accessed February 10, 2020 .
- About us. Abbvie Germany website, accessed February 4, 2014
- therapeutic areas. Abbvie Germany website, accessed February 1, 2016
- Fact Sheets. Abbvie website
- Press release ( Memento of the original dated February 14, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. by Abbvie Germany (PDF file)
- Imprint. Abbvie Germany website, accessed January 13, 2016
- Doctors newspaper : Abbvie and Shire: The wedding is perfect on the fifth attempt.
- Handelsblatt : Shire agrees to Abbvie's billion dollar offer.
- Handelsblatt: Abbvie pays billions in severance payments for a broken deal. Article dated October 21, 2014, accessed January 30, 2015
- Fox Business Network : Abbvie to buy leukemia drugmaker Pharmacyclics for $ 21 billion in its first deal since Shire. ( Memento of the original from April 3, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (engl.)
- AbbVie Completes Acquisition of Pharmacyclics , Abbvie PM, May 26, 2015, accessed June 16, 2017
- genengnews.com: Abbvie Acquires Oncology Drug Firm Pharmacyclics for $ 21B. (engl.)
- US pharmaceutical company Abbvie wants to take over botox manufacturer Allergan , focus.de from June 25, 2019, accessed on June 25, 2019
- AbbVie Completes Transformative Acquisition of Allergan. In: news.abbvie.com. May 8, 2020, accessed on May 11, 2020 .
- FTC imposes Conditions on AbbVie Inc.'s acquisition of Allergan plc. May 5, 2020, accessed on May 11, 2020 .
- Biogen and AbbVie Receive FDA Approval of Once-Monthly ZINBRYTA ™ (daclizumab) for Multiple Sclerosis , Abbvie PM, May 27, 2016, accessed June 16, 2017
- AbbVie and M2Gen Announce New Collaboration for the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network® (ORIEN) Avatar Research Program , Abbvie PM, March 28, 2017, accessed June 16, 2017
- AbbVie and Principia Announce Collaboration on Oral Immunoproteasome Inhibitors , Abbvie PM, June 13, 2017, accessed June 16, 2017