United Parcel Service
|United Parcel Service of America, Inc.
|founding||August 28, 1907|
Sandy Springs , Georgia , United States
( Chairman and CEO )
|Number of employees||495,000 (2019)|
|sales||$ 74 billion (2019)|
|Branch||Package distribution, logistics|
The company was founded in Seattle on August 28, 1907 as the American Messenger Company by James E. Casey and was renamed United Parcel Service in 1919. On August 16, 1976, the first branch outside the USA opened opposite today's Rheinparkcenter in Neuss . This made it a direct competitor of the former Deutsche Bundespost , the transport groups Kuehne + Nagel and Dachser as well as Schenker & Co. , a major forwarding company of the former Deutsche Bundesbahn . Detthold Aden was the first managing director of UPS in Germany . The current managing director of UPS Germany and Austria is Frank Sportolari. Since April 2018 Sportolari also president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Germany (American Chamber of Commerce in Germany, short "AmCham"). On September 15, 1986, the European air hub was founded at Cologne-Bonn Airport.
In 1976, around 80,000 so-called parcel men were employed by UPS in the United States, delivering around three million parcels every day. Sales were $ 1.6 billion. Since November 10, 1999, the company's shares have been publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Annual sales were approximately $ 27.05 billion in the first year of the IPO. Since 2003, the company has been using its new shield logo with the short form UPS as a (core) brand . The long form “United Parcel Service” will also continue to be used as a brand and company name.
From 1997 to 2008 UPS was among other things the main sponsor of the UPS-Porsche-Junior-Team . Since the 2016/17 season, UPS has also been a sponsor and official logistics partner of the Bundesliga club VfL Wolfsburg . Since the 2017/18 season, UPS has also sponsored the sleeve on the VfL Wolfsburg jerseys.
In 2001 UPS failed in the last instance before the Berlin Higher Regional Court with the attempt to forbid the Stuttgart consumer protection association Aktion Bildungsinformation from associating the company with Scientology . The association had previously publicly reported that Scientology was using its collaboration with UPS to increase its influence on the economy. The court also allowed the association to continue to bring the management techniques at UPS close to Scientology methods and to spread the statement that UPS had specifically donated money to Scientology-friendly politicians in the US.
In 2015, UPS took over Chicago-based truck freight broker Coyote Logistics for $ 1.8 billion , which had been hired as a subcontractor during peak season periods in previous years after UPS was criticized for delivery delays in the Christmas business; Coyote was founded in 2006, cooperates with 35,000 freight forwarders and achieved a turnover of 2.1 billion dollars in 2014.
Today the company is one of the largest logistics companies in the world. The German branch of the company operates under the United Parcel Service Deutschland S.á rl & Co. OHG .
UPS had worldwide sales of $ 74 billion in fiscal 2019 and employed 495,000 people worldwide.
The distinctive delivery vans in the company color “pullman brown” are typical of United Parcel Service. The color brown as a typical distinguishing feature of the company came about in 1919 for two reasons. On the one hand, the dark brown of the Pullman railroad cars in the USA was synonymous with quality and luxury, on the other hand, you simply couldn't see the dust of the streets so clearly on the brown cars. What is less well known, however, is that United Parcel Service painted its first delivery vehicles in completely different colors to demonstrate that they owned more than one.
In Europe, the delivery vehicles are custom-made based on different European commercial vehicle manufacturers. Since some vehicle manufacturers have been offering delivery vans with a raised seating position and a passage to the loading space, UPS has also been buying vehicles "off the shelf". The vehicle fleet ranges from silver-gray trucks (feeders) to small cars ( Renault Kangoo ) to scooters ( BMW C1 ) for express deliveries and internal distribution trips. Bicycles are also used in some city centers. In some areas of the world, their own boats are also used for parcel delivery, including Venice.
United Parcel Service is headquartered in Atlanta ; the European headquarters are in Brussels . In Germany, the parcel delivery company separates the operative business from the strategic management. Therefore the German administrative headquarters of United Parcel Service Deutschland S.à.rl & Co. OHG is in Neuss , the managing company is in Monheim.
UPS SCS GmbH & Co. OHG
UPS SCS is headquartered in Schwaig at Munich Airport. It also has branches at all key logistics hubs around the world. She is responsible for the logistics in the corporate family. The focus of the service portfolio is primarily on pallet transport. After restructuring the corporate structure in 2009/2010, UPS-SCS is primarily active in the air and sea freight and contract logistics segments; Among other things, the existing UPS infrastructure is used here. UPS-SCS thus complements the courier, parcel and express services (CEP) of the parent company with services such as import and export processing and value-added services .
This subsidiary operates in the background and uses feeders and swap bodies to primarily transport the parcels during the night that were collected by the small parcel trucks during the day. In the early morning hours, all parcel trucks across Germany are supplied with the parcels to be delivered for a given day via feeder. In addition, the pick-up area (collection from major customers) within UPS Transport is becoming increasingly important at UPS.
Like UPS Transport, UPS Automotive is a subsidiary that operates in the background. Without it, UPS would not be operational either, because it takes over the maintenance of the vehicle fleet. There is a company workshop in almost every center.
The subsidiary UPS Airlines is a cargo airline that is responsible for all air transport for United Parcel Service. UPS Airlines operates one of the largest air cargo fleets in the world and is the ninth largest airline in the world with 237 aircraft (as of February 2014).
Mail Boxes Etc. (MBE) until May 2009
MBE is a company that was founded autonomously and was taken over by UPS over time. In the meantime, all shares have been sold to the Italian Fineffe Group. MBE is still a cooperation partner of UPS and offers various services such as outsourcing, shipping service, packaging service, graphics and printing service, mailing service or post box services.
UPS on the Grand Canal in Venice
UPS delivery truck P600 on Mercedes-Benz Vario basis
Special development P800 from Grumman Olson
In the internal designation of UPS vehicles, P stands for parcel vehicle and the following two-digit number for the volume (three-digit numbers are mostly older versions). There are different variants of vehicles, the following are only examples of models:
- P10 - Ford Escort with box body (<2.8 t GVW )
- P45 - Mercedes-Benz Sprinter with box body and shelves (<3.5 t GVW)
- P600 - Mercedes-Benz Vario with box body and shelves (old model) (<7.5 t GVW)
- P800 - Mercedes-Benz with box body and shelves (<7.5 t GVW)
- 814er - 7.5 t for pallets with tail lift (<mass of 7,5 t)
- P1000 - extended version of the P600 (<7.5 t GVW)
in US $ million
|Balance sheet profit
in million US $
- Delivery Information and Acquisition Device (DIAD)
DIAD is an electronic delivery directory for recording delivery, collection and communication with the center. The deliverer also uses it for daily billing and as a time card. Model V has been in use since the beginning of July 2012, model IV is partly used as a replacement or as a helper board.
- Global Scanning System (GSS)
GSS is responsible for the fast and mostly wireless package capture in centers . This physically scans the packets, mainly with wireless ring scanners, but also with wired scan stations.
- Paperless Invoice
Since the beginning of 2008 UPS has been one of the first companies to offer paperless invoices for imports and exports.
- On September 3, 2010, a UPS Boeing 747-400 cargo plane crashed just a few kilometers after take-off in Dubai after a fire broke out in the cargo hold, probably caused by the transport of dangerous goods (see UPS Airlines flight 6 ). It was checked whether there might have been lithium-ion batteries in the hold . Both pilots died in the accident. In February 2006, a UPS cargo plane caught fire in Philadelphia , possibly also due to lithium-ion batteries.
- In July 2011, the UK Department for Transport severely restricted the number of UK locations where UPS can screen air cargo and clear it for transport because it was deemed unsafe and considered public safety at risk has been.
In 2004 the parcel service was rated “satisfactory” in a test by Stiftung Warentest . The pricing and various violations of general terms and conditions law were criticized . The test was repeated in 2010 with the same result, but the handling of the packages was praised. In 2014, the result was achieved again in the second repetition.
- United Parcel Service official website (multilingual)
- 2019 Annual Report. United Parcel Service, March 20, 2020, accessed June 11, 2020 .
- Stiftung Warentest United Parcel Service: Connections to Scientology , test.de , accessed on December 16, 2015
- Judgment of the Berlin Court of Appeal, file number: 14 U 60/01 of July 17, 2001 in its original version from Judicialis , accessed on December 16, 2015
- UPS takes over Coyote for $ 1.8 billion , posttip.de, August 3, 2015
- Commercial register: Neuss district court, commercial register number HR A 5119
- Welcome to UPS Supply Chain Solutions. Retrieved November 28, 2019 .
- UPS Airlines fleet (excluding chartered ones). Accessed February 1, 2014
- Home of Mail Boxes Etc. Retrieved November 28, 2019 .
- UPS Revenue 2006-2019 | UPS. Retrieved April 29, 2020 .
- Fire in the hold of Boeing 747-400. In: www.dubainews.de. September 13, 2010, accessed November 28, 2019 .
- Wirtschaftswoche: Dangerous Batteries: Risk of Fire in Airplanes. August 17, 2006, accessed November 28, 2019 .
- UK ban on UPS parcel screening following bomb incident . June 17, 2011, ISSN 0307-1235 ( telegraph.co.uk [accessed November 28, 2019]).
- UPS shipping service in the test ▷ Testberichte.de-∅-Note. In: www.testberichte.de. Retrieved November 28, 2019 .
- Stiftung Warentest: Parcel services - often damaged - Stiftung Warentest. Retrieved November 28, 2019 .
- Stiftung Warentest: Parcel services - fast, but rough - five providers in the test - Stiftung Warentest. Retrieved November 28, 2019 .