|founding||August 30, 2002|
|Seat||Houston , United States|
|management||Ryan M. Lance ( CEO and Chairman)|
|Number of employees||10,400 (2019)|
|sales||32.6 billion US dollars (2019)|
|As of December 31, 2019|
ConocoPhillips is an international energy company and is considered the third largest US oil company. The headquarters are in Houston , USA . The shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the symbol COP . Since the split in 2012, ConocoPhillips has been responsible for the so-called upstream business, ie for the exploration and production of new crude oil; the refineries and gas station networks went to the Phillips 66 Company .
It was created on August 30, 2002 through the merger of the two companies Conoco Inc. and Phillips Petroleum Company and appeared in Europe primarily through its own network of petrol stations , which are called JET .
The filling station network comprised over 20,000 filling stations worldwide, 540 of them under the name "JET" in Germany and over 140 in Austria, which are now operated by the Phillips 66 Company .
In addition, 18 refineries were owned by ConocoPhillips. This also included the Wilhelmshaven refinery in Wilhelmshaven . This was taken over by the French Louis Dreyfus Group in the first half of 2006 , has been idle since 2009 and was closed on June 1, 2011. The company holds around 20 percent of the second largest German fuel refinery, MiRO ( Mineraloelraffinerie Oberrhein ) in Karlsruhe.
In Germany, ConocoPhillips also operated 47 car washes under the name Star Wash , making it the No. 2 car wash operator.
In Switzerland, ConocoPhillips, as a cooperation partner of Coop, has held a 49 percent stake in Coop Mineraloel AG since 1988 , which operates petrol stations and convenience shops across the country and sells heating oil.
In the Timor Sea, ConocoPhillips is exploiting the Bayu Undan natural gas field . The gas is sent to Darwin, Australia for further processing. The neighboring state of East Timor will share in the profits. In 2010 there were irregularities in the billing, among other things because ConocoPhillips extracted helium from the gas field and East Timor did not inform about the extraction. East Timor also accuses ConocoPhillips of not paying enough taxes and imposing a heavy fine. ConcocoPhilipps therefore went to court. In 2018, the East Timorese government bought ConocoPhillips' shares in the Greater Sunrise natural gas field.
In March 2006, the company acquired Burlington Resources for $ 35.6 billion.
In 2011, the last full fiscal year before the removal of the downstream activities in the Phillips 66 Company, ConocoPhillips posted a turnover of 251.2 billion US dollars at 29,600 employees.
Sales in 2012 at 62.004 billion US dollars . In 2014, the company was still able to generate 52 billion US dollars, until sales fell significantly in the following year. In 2015, ConocoPhillips achieved sales of around 29 billion US dollars.
On July 14, 2011 ConocoPhillips announced that the company would be split up into the two independent listed companies Refining & Marketing and Exploration & Production . This was to be done through a spin-off from the Refining & Marketing division .
The split was completed on May 1, 2012. The newly created, listed company Phillips 66 , which includes the split-off downstream business, employed around 13,500 people worldwide in 2012 and achieved sales of around 179 billion US dollars in the same year. With the split, the JET brand also went to Phillips 66 and is no longer part of ConocoPhillips.
- Number of employees at ConocoPhillips 2019. In: conocophillips.com. Retrieved April 24, 2020 (English).
- Annual Report 2019. In: conocophillips.com. Retrieved April 24, 2020 (English).
- Europe's refineries are turned off ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Report in the NWZ from February 15, 2011.
- New hope for ConocoPhillips? NDR.de from May 4, 2011
- ABC Australia: Taxing Times in Timor , accessed December 30, 2013
- LUSA: Timor-Leste compra participação da ConocoPhillips no consórcio do Greater Sunrise , September 29, 2018 , accessed on September 30, 2018.
- ConocoPhillips sales up to 2015. marketwatch.com, accessed on March 28, 2016 (English).
- ConocoPhillips plans to split up. In: finanzen.net. July 14, 2011, accessed April 24, 2020 .
- phillips66.com: Company Overview
- jet-tankstellen.de: LONG HISTORY, SHORT FUEL BILL.