European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations
The European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations (EBLIDA) is a European umbrella organization of professional and institutional associations in the field of libraries, archives and documentation.
On August 20, 1987, the British Library Association (LA - now CILIP, Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals) organized a meeting in LA as part of the 53rd IFLA Congress (August 16-21, 1987) in Brighton - London Headquarters (7 Ridgmount Street) chaired by LA Chief Executive George Cunningham. The idea of creating an interface between the Commission of the European Economic Community and professional associations , which publishers and booksellers already had, had been simmering in people's minds for years. It was agreed with some representatives from other EEC states that a new facility was necessary. From 18 to 19 May 1991 an international meeting with around 40 delegates took place at the LA headquarters in London, which determined the establishment of a new European library body. Finally, the official foundation took place in The Hague on June 13, 1992 in the presence of nine library associations.
According to the statutes, the goals of the association are briefly summarized: member exchange, recognition as a discussion partner and representative towards EU institutions, as well as commitment to study, professional and institutional matters. The primary goal is lobbying for information institutions in Europe. History so far shows that the following focal points shape the EBLIDA work: European knowledge society, freedom of information, copyright and licenses.
The highest body is the council, it is the link between the individual members. The council consists of representatives of the full members and the partial members. He decides on the political guidelines of the organization and their general structure. Only full members have voting rights and can be elected to the Executive Committee, the second important body of EBLIDA. The executive committee exercises the administrative and administrative rights. The Secretariat implements the decisions of the Council and the Executive Committee and handles day-to-day activities.
Presidency and administration
The presidents and their term of office:
- Ross Shimmon: 1992-1995
- Søren Møller: 1995 to 1999
- Britt Marie Häggström: 1999 to 2003
- Jan Ewout van der Putten: May 9, 2003 to May 12, 2007
- Gerald Leitner: May 12, 2007 to May 11, 2012
- Klaus-Peter Böttger: May 11, 2012 to May 2015
- Jukka Relander: May 2015 to May 2018
- Ton van Vlimmeren: since May 2018
The directors and their terms of office:
- Emanuella Giavarra: June 1992 to January 1996
- Barbara Schleihagen: March 1996 to February 20, 2000
- Teresa Hackett: February 21, 2000 to February 21, 2003
- María Pía González Pereira: February 3, 2003 to January 31, 2006
- (Interim: Marian Koren: February 1 to April 30, 2006)
- Andrew Cranfield: May 1, 2006 to April 30, 2009
- Joanne Yeomans: May 1, 2009 to November 30, 2010
- Vincent Bonnet: December 1, 2010 to 2018
- Jean-Marie Reding: 2018, interim managing director for 4 months
- Giuseppe Vitiello: January 2019
The current strategy was defined at the annual conference on May 8, 2009 in Vienna with the Vienna Declaration and includes four points:
- A White Paper "Public Libraries in the Knowledge Society"
- A knowledge center at European level
- A sustainable European funded project policy
- The elimination of copyright barriers
- www.eblida.org (English)
- George Cunningham: Better coordination in European Community. In: Library Association Record, Vol. 89 (10), Oct. 1987, p. 514.
- Euro-LA to be formed by autumn 1992 . In: Library Association Record , Vol. 93 (7), July 1991, p. 422.
- Helmut Rösner: The edible book: ten years of EBLIDA . In: Central and State Library Berlin (ed.): Library service . tape 36.2002 . de Gruyter, Berlin 2002, p. 895 - 898 ( zlb.de [accessed November 20, 2019]).
- Constitution - European Bureau of Library Information and Documentation Associations (EBLIDA). Retrieved November 20, 2019 .
- History - European Bureau of Library Information and Documentation Associations (EBLIDA). Retrieved November 20, 2019 .
- Vienna Declaration (PDF) EBLIDA. Archived from the original on April 12, 2012. Retrieved on April 1, 2019.