Under Evolutionary Ecology (also evolutionary ecology , evolutionary ecology ) refers to that part of the ecology , the modern findings for environmental statements, explanations and theories Evolutionary Biology integrated with.
Origin of the term
In the German-speaking world, the term evolutionary ecology originally entered the scientific literature from a paleoecological point of view (especially through Gerd von Wahlert ). Independent of this, the term Evolutionary Ecology has been established by Anglo-Saxon population biologists (including Michael Rosenzweig , Eric R. Pianka , Robert H. MacArthur ). The first meaning aimed more at the long-term paleo-ecological and evolutionary changes, the second meaning more at shorter-term and experimentally verifiable biological interactions with the environment. Since the central questions and explanatory models and also in many cases the methods and analyzes used merge, the common term evolutionary ecology has become established in German for both aspects .
Evolutionary ecology therefore combines various sub-disciplines: It includes, for example
- the differentiation of genetic lines over time under changing environments ( see phylogeography ),
- evolutionary aspects in behavioral ecology ,
- the evolution of host-parasite interactions , or else
- long-term evolutionary processes, such as the transition from water to land life in the course of earth's history .
Therefore, the term is widely used both in biologically oriented ecologists and evolutionary biologists whose methodical armor that of many of Molecular Ecology is, as well as paläoökologisch working paleontologists .
- P. Bennett, I. Owens: Evolutionary Ecology of Birds. Oxford University Press, 2002.
- A. Cockburn: Evolutionary Ecology. G. Fischer, Stuttgart 1995.
- C. Damgaard: Evolutionary Ecology of Plant-Plant Interactions: An Empirical Modeling Approach. Aarhus University Press, 2005.
- E. Danchin: Behavioral Ecology: An Evolutionary Perspective on Behavior. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- CW Fox, DA Roff, DJ Fairbairn: Evolutionary Ecology: Concepts and Case Studies. Oxford University Press, 2001.
- HCJ Grodfray: Parasitoids: Behavioral and Evolutionary Ecology. Princeton University Press, 1994.
- Thierry Lodé: Manifestations pour une écologie évolutive: Darwin et après. Odile Jacob, Paris 2014, ISBN 978-2-7381-3194-2 .
- PJ Mayhew: Discovering Evolutionary Ecology: Bringing Together Ecology and Evolution. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- ER Pianka: Evolutionary Ecology. 6th ed.Benjamin Cummings, 2000.
- B. Streit, T. Städler, CM Lively: Evolutionary Ecology of Freshwater Animals. Birkhäuser, Basel / Boston 1997.
- Evolutionary Ecology Research . Evolutionary Ecology Ltd., Tucson (USA). Editor-in-Chief: Michael L. Rosenzweig.