Research group elections
|Research Group Elections e. V.
|purpose||Institute for Election Analysis and Society Observation|
|Chair:||Matthias Jung , Yvonne Schroth, Andrea Wolf|
Since 1965, Rudolf Wildenmann from the University of Mannheim and his team at ZDF were responsible for election projections and forecasts. The team included Manfred Berger, Wolfgang Gibowski and Dieter Roth. These three people were close to the CDU or belonged to it or were active as political advisers for it like Wildenmann for Lothar Späth . Berger, Gibowski and Roth formed the board when the research group Wahlen was founded as a registered association in 1974 . The main task of the FGW is the scientific advice and support of programs of the Second German Television on political and social issues.
Research into voter behavior is a focus of the FGW, as well as the continuous observation of social trends and moods. The research results are shown both in the broadcasts on German elections (as the first forecast at 6 p.m.) and in the biweekly Politbarometer broadcasts e.g. B. published by ZDF. In addition, the analyzes in the self-published series of publications by Forschungsgruppe Wahlen e. V. published.
According to its own information, the work of the non-profit organization is supported exclusively by financial resources from ZDF. All survey data since 1977 are available to the interested public at the GESIS Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences for analysis purposes.
However, it is not the association that is responsible for the surveys, but the research group Wahlen Telefonfeld GmbH, which was founded specifically for this purpose. This has existed since 1994 and is located in the same building near Mannheim Central Station . In addition to data collection for ZDF, local surveys such as those for Mannheimer Morgen are also often carried out. In addition, the research group Wahlen Telefonfeld GmbH, according to its own information, also conducts market research for clients other than ZDF.
The telephone studio of the research group Wahlen Telefonfeld GmbH is equipped with over 140 computer-assisted telephone workstations.
- Patrick Conley: Use of computers in the state elections in Hesse. A visit to the Wahlen research group , hr2, February 4, 1995. ( Recording from the Internet Archive .)
- Research group website
- Data archive for social sciences, GESIS - Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences
- Access to the data via the website of the Politbarometer of the FDZ Elections from GESIS - Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences
- Haig Latchinian : State elections: How does the election forecast on ZDF work? An insider tells. The upcoming state election on Sunday promises to be exciting. When the forecast is published at 6 p.m. sharp, the Saxons will probably be sitting in front of the screens. Heike Rohland from Machern enjoys a privilege: long before the polling stations close, she suspects who could be ahead. Leipziger Volkszeitung , online portal, August 29, 2019. Retrieved September 11, 2019 .
- http://www.forschungsgruppe.de/ueber_die_Forschungsgruppe/Forschungsgruppe_Wahlen_e.V./ ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Marvin Oppong: Questionable Statistics: Why the FDP does so badly in the polls research group. In: Carta, May 17, 2009.
- http://www.forschungsgruppe.de/ueber_die_Forschungsgruppe/Forschungsgruppe_Wahlen_e.V./Wie_alles_begann/ ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- 6 p.m. forecast and projections on election evening. November 14, 2011, accessed December 6, 2012 .
- Methodology of the Politbarometer studies. November 14, 2011, accessed December 6, 2012 .