The free atmosphere is the part of the atmosphere above the peplosphere ; H. above the atmospheric boundary layer . In contrast to the peplosphere, it comprises the layers of air above the peplopause , i.e. H. above 1000-2000 m that are not subject to soil influences. Radiosondes are mostly used for research today , and in the past also manned gas balloons and weather kites .
- Free atmosphere , Lexicon of Geosciences , Spektrum.de
- Free atmosphere , Lexicon of Geography , Spektrum.de
- Rüdiger Glaser, Christiane Hauter, Dominik Faust, Rainer Glawion, Helmut Saurer, Achim Schulte, Dirk Sudhaus: Physical Geography Compact, Springer-Verlag , 2016, p. 70 
- Weather dictionary: What is a radiosonde? , swr.de
- The weather museum in Lindenberg