Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Prize
The Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Prize is named after the German mathematician and astronomer Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel (1784–1846).
The Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Prize has been awarded since 2001 to excellent scientists from abroad who received their doctorate no more than 18 years ago and who have already gained international recognition through their scientific activities. The prize is currently endowed with 45,000 euros and the winner is invited to carry out research projects of their own choosing in Germany. The nomination is made by scientists in Germany. Up to 25 prizes are awarded each year.
Prize winners (extract)
- 2001 Bruce Allen , Yourii B. Ovchinnikov, Peter J. Hirschfeld, Krassimir Danov, Eric Suraud, Naveen Garg
- 2002 Ezenwa Oaheto, Victor Kozlov
- 2003 Igor L. Fedushkin
- 2004 David McAlpine, Soo-Jong Rey, Oliver Smithies
- 2005 Roland Bürgmann, Mark Tuckerman, Luis Chiappe , Ilan Marek
- 2006 Ashutosh Sharma, Chang Chang Xi
- 2007 Adrian Constantin , Lorenzo Perilli
- 2008 Guy Moore
- 2009 Stephan Roche
- 2010 Markus Aspelmeyer , Musa W. Dube
- 2011 Kaustav Banerjee , Christian W. Bauer, Penelope Evelyn Haxell
- 2012 Olivier Remaud , Thomas W. Baumgarte , Michael Glickman, Hoang Nguyen The
- 2013 Thomas Lörting
- 2015 Ulrike Malmendier , Song-I Han
- 2016 Vincenzo Grillo , Harald Pfeiffer , Javier Ballesteros Paredes , Tim MP Tait, Markus Kraft
- 2017 Deji Akinwande , Magali Isabelle Billen
- 2018 Manuel Bibes
The prize is financed by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and awarded by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation . It was launched in 2001 as part of the federal government's future investment program, which was made possible by the revenue from the UMTS auction . The award of the prizes, initially limited in time, was continued in 2003.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Prize at the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- UC Santa Barbara Nanoelectronics Expert Wins Prestigious Research Prize. Retrieved July 1, 2020 .
- Songi Han Receives Bessel Prize . In: The UCSB Current . ( ucsb.edu [accessed October 22, 2017]).
- Vincenzo Grillo presented with a Bessel Research Award . Archived from the original on August 17, 2016. Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- Nanoscience: Vincenzo Grillo si aggiudica il prestigioso premio Bessel .
- https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/pls/web/pub_hn_query.humboldtianer_details?p_externe_id=7000254830&p_lang=en&p_pattern=. Retrieved December 2, 2018 .
- Bessel Research Prize: leading French physicist supports materials researchers in Halle. Retrieved April 4, 2018 .