The bank was founded in 1957 as a universal bank. As early as 1963, the majority of the shares went to the Milanese Banco Ambrosiano . After the Italian parent company collapsed, she joined the Japanese Sumitomo Bank in 1984 . After branches had already been opened in Nassau and Luxembourg in the 1970s, another followed in Monaco in 1994. Commission income from asset management and securities trading as well as syndication and issuing business were the main sources of income. In 1999, Banca del Gottardo was taken over by what was then Rentenanstalt (now Swiss Life) for CHF 2.4 billion .
At the beginning of November 2007, Swiss Life sold Banca del Gottardo to the Generali subsidiary BSI SA for CHF 1.875 billion . The full integration of Banca del Gottardo into BSI SA was completed in mid-2008 and Banca del Gottardo was dissolved.
- Swiss Life press release on the sale of Banca del Gottardo , Swiss Life homepage, November 7, 2007
- BSI press release on the purchase of Banca del Gottardo , BSI homepage, November 7, 2007
- BSI press release, March 10, 2008 - Takeover of Banca del Gottardo by BSI successfully completed
- Press release BSI, June 30, 2008 - Merger between Banca del Gottardo and BSI (Generali Group) completed
- Deletion from the commercial register of the Canton of Ticino on June 26, 2008