Gudrun Wolfschmidt (born September 24, 1951 in Nuremberg ) is a German astronomer and science historian. From 1997 to 2016 she taught as a professor at the Center for the History of Natural Science and Technology (GNT, formerly the Institute for the History of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Technology) at the University of Hamburg .
After the first state examination in 1977 for the grammar school teaching degree in physics and mathematics, she received her doctorate in 1980 at the Astronomical Institute, Dr. Remeis Observatory Bamberg, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg with Jürgen Rahe with the dissertation Analysis of Close Binary Star Systems . She successfully completed her legal clerkship at the Einsteingymnasium in Munich by 1984, taught in various grammar schools until 1987 and was involved in the German Association of Philologists , where she was a full-time advisor for internal information until 1989. From 1987–1997 Wolfschmidt was active in research on the history of science at the Deutsches Museum in Munich (including the conception and realization of the exhibition Astronomy in a team of three, opening 1992). Her habilitation took place in 1997 with Menso Folkerts at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich on the genesis of astrophysics . Since 1997 she has been teaching at the University of Hamburg as professor for the history of natural sciences (department of mathematics, from 2012 department of physics, Hamburg observatory). It also publishes the series Nuncius Hamburgensis - Contributions to the History of Natural Sciences . In 2016 she retired.
Her research areas are the history of astronomy and physics in the early modern period as well as in the 19th and 20th centuries. Century, furthermore the history of scientific instruments as well as the history of chemistry and technology.
- Culture, art and perception of nature in ancient Mexico. ( Publications of the Dr. Remeis observatory Bamberg. Volume X, No. 118). Bamberg 1976.
- Writings and instruments from the time of Regiomontan. Catalog for the exhibition at the Remeis observatory in Bamberg, April to July 1976. Bamberg 1976.
- Methods for the determination of the orbital elements of coverage variables. Dr. Remeis Observatory, Bamberg 1976.
- Astronomy in early printing. Catalog for the exhibition at the State Library in Bamberg from September 1 to October 1, 1977. ( Publication by the Dr. Remeis Observatory Bamberg. Volume XII, No. 128). Bamberg 1977.
- Analysis of close binary star systems. 1980 (dissertation, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Faculty of Natural Sciences I (mathematics and physics), 1980, 163 pages).
- Astronomy in substitute hours. Edited by the legal representative in the Bavarian Association of Philologists. ( Contributions to high school pedagogy. Volume 17, high school pedagogical series). Munich 1990.
- Milky Way - Nebula - Galaxies: Structures in the cosmos from Herschel to Hubble. Oldenbourg, Munich 1995, ISBN 978-3-486-26308-4 , ISBN 3-486-26308-0 .
- Genesis of astrophysics. 3 volumes. Munich 1997, OCLC 907824224 and OCLC 907824223 (Habilitation thesis, University of Munich, 1997, part 1: 282 pages and part 2: pages 283-526, appendix pages 527-780 - Observatories and astrophysical instruments. Instrument manufacturers and companies. List of sources, literature, register of persons ).
- Stars show the way - history of navigation. Catalog for the exhibition in Hamburg and Nuremberg. ( Nuncius Hamburgensis. Volume 15). Books on Demand, Norderstedt (Nuncius Hamburgensis; Volume 15) 2009, ISBN 978-3-8370-3969-6 )
- with Irmela Bues: 100 years of Dr. Remeis observatory Bamberg. (Festschrift) Publications by Dr. Remeis Observatory Bamberg, Astronomical Institute of the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Volume XIII, No. 134, Bamberg 1989.
- with Gerhard Hartl; Karl Märker; Jürgen Teichmann: Planets, stars, islands of the world. Astronomy in the Deutsches Museum. Book accompanying the exhibition Astronomy / Astrophysics in the Deutsches Museum. Stuttgart: Franckh-Kosmos 1993. Munich: Deutsches Museum 1993, ISBN 3-440-06646-0 .
- with Alto Brachner, Michael Eckert, Martina Blum: X-rays: Discovery, Effect, Application. For the 100th anniversary of the discovery of X-rays. Munich: Deutsches Museum (contributions to the history of technology for training and further education) 1995, ISBN 3-924183-75-9
- with Gerhard Hartl; Karl Märker; Jürgen Teichmann: Astronomy. (Head of the German Museum Department). Munich: Deutsches Museum 1999. ISBN 3-924183-21-X
- with Axel D. Wittmann, Hilmar W. Duerbeck: Development of Solar Research: Development of solar research ( Acta Historica Astronomiae. Vol. 25). Harri Deutsch, Frankfurt am Main 2005, ISBN 3-8171-1755-8 .
- with Karl-Heinrich Wiederkehr: From magnetism to electrodynamics. Edited on the occasion of the 200th birthday of Wilhelm Weber (1804–1891) and the 150th anniversary of the death of Carl Friedrich Gauß (1777–1855) [exhibition in the Hamburg State Library, March 3 to April 2, 2005]. Hamburg 2005, ISBN 3-00-015559-7 .
- with Martin Šolc: Astronomy in and around Prague . Proceedings of the Colloquium of the Working Group for the History of Astronomy in the framework of the scientific meeting of the Astronomische Gesellschaft (AG) in Prag, Monday, September 20, 2004 ( Acta Universitatis Carolinae - Mathematica et Physica. Volume 46, Supplementum ). Prague 2005. dml.cz .
- with Andre Koch Torres Assis; Karl Heinrich Wiederkehr: Weber's Planetary Model of the Atom. ( Nuncius Hamburgensis. Volume 19). tredition, Hamburg 2011, ISBN 978-3-8424-0241-6 .
- with André Koch Torres Assis; Karl Heinrich Wiederkehr: O Modelo Planetário de Weber para o Átomo. [Translation of: Weber's planetary model of the atom. Portuguese] Apeiron Press, Montreal 2014. ISBN 978-0-9920456-5-4 (PDF, hs.uni-hamburg.de ).
- with Wolfram Ziegler: From the life of a Franconian. Dr. August Ziegler (1885–1937) - plant breeder in Togo and vine breeder in Bavaria. Edited and edited by Gudrun Wolfschmidt. tredition, Hamburg 2017, ISBN 978-3-7439-0498-9 (PDF, hs.uni-hamburg.de ).
- with Carlotta Martini: Two women's lives for science in the 18th century. A comparative case study on Émilie du Châtelet and Maria Gaetana Agnesi. Edited and edited by Gudrun Wolfschmidt. ( Nuncius Hamburgensis. Volume 43). tredition, Hamburg 2017, ISBN 978-3-7439-6720-5 (PDF, hs.uni-hamburg.de ).
- with André Koch Torres Assis; Karl Heinrich Wiederkehr: Weber's planetary model of the atom. From the English by Hermann Härtel. [Translation of: Weber's planetary model of the atom (2011).] Apeiron Press, Montreal 2018, ISBN 978-1-987980-13-4 (PDF, hs.uni-hamburg.de ).
- Nicolaus Copernicus (1473–1543): Revolutionary against his will. Publishing house for the history of natural sciences and technology, Stuttgart 1994, ISBN 3-928186-16-7 .
- Popularization of the natural sciences: Published on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of IGN Hamburg. Publishing house for the history of natural sciences and technology, Stuttgart 2002, ISBN 3-928186-59-0 .
- There is no special way to geometry for kings' Festschrift für Karin Reich ( Algorism. Heft 60) Erwin Rauner, Augsburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-936905-23-6 .
- Cultural Heritage of Astronomical Observatories - From Classical Astronomy to Modern Astrophysics. Proceedings of the International ICOMOS Symposium in Hamburg, October 14-17, 2008. Hendrik Bäßler-Verlag, Berlin (International Council on Monuments and Sites, Monuments and Sites XVIII) 2009, ISBN 978-3-930388-53-0 .
- Literature by and about Gudrun Wolfschmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Personal website of the University of Hamburg
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German science historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 24, 1951|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nuremberg|