Marzian studied history, German literature and geography at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität zu Berlin from 1940 . At the same time he served in the Wehrmacht . From 1946 he studied at the Georg-August University in Göttingen. After the state examination, he was the scientific director of the Göttingen working group from 1950 to 1973 . He then worked as an editor at Axel Springer SE for nine years . From 1982 to 1987 he was director of the Ullstein publishing house's text archive .
- Frederick the Great - Man and Work . Würzburg 1956.
- Political Science and the Oder-Neisse Line . Wuerzburg 1965.
- Thoughts on Prussia . Göttingen 1967.
- Political realism. A contribution to the Oder-Neisse question . Goettingen 1969.
- East Prussia - the political profile of a country. Outlines of his mind and culture . Leer 1969.
- The German frontier problem. A study in political interdependence . Goettingen 1969.
- Managing board member of the Göttingen working group
- Chancellor of the Society of Friends of Kant
- Member of the working group for ethics and law of the Eastern Church Committee
- Member of the advisory board of the Federal Working Group for Eastern Studies in Classes
- Member of the Northeast German Cultural Council
- Chairman of the Foundation of the Northeast German Cultural Council (1984)
- Speaker of the Lower Saxony State Board of Trustees Indivisible Germany
- Gold medal of the East Prussian Landsmannschaft
- Plaque for services to the German East and the right of self-determination of the Federation of Expellees (1982)
- Federal Cross of Merit on Ribbon (1987)
- 50 years of the Göttinger Arbeitskreis e. V. Göttingen 1998
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Marzian, Herbert G .; Marzian Herbert Gustav (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German editor and publicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 2, 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 7, 1988|
|Place of death||West Berlin|