(March 4, 2020)
macOS 10.7 - 10.15;
older versions are available for Mac OS Classic Available
One of the goals of iCab is to be as standards-compliant as possible . For example, iCab shows compliance with the HTML standard for websites , lists the errors found on request and offers the option in the context menu for a website to be checked by the W3C validator. From version 3.0 iCab passes the acid test, which is used to test the display capabilities of web browsers.
When iCab appeared at the beginning of 1999, it impressed with its speed, small size and economical use of the available memory compared to the alternatives Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer available at the time . In addition, there were extensive filter functions for partially unwanted web content such as advertising banners , cookies , pop-up windows and more, which have become more and more sophisticated over time. iCab is currently the browser with the most filter options.
Although iCab has been a complete web browser since its appearance, the versions that have appeared so far have long been referred to as preview to indicate that not all of the planned functions have been implemented. CSS support in particular was incomplete for a long time. A "finished" version was expected for early 2002; however, completion has been delayed. A first beta version 3.0 was released in December 2004.
Version 3 of iCab is the only modern browser that is still being developed for Mac OS from version Mac OS 8.5. The Mozilla developers recommend all Mac OS 9 users to switch to iCab.
Version 4 of iCab, released on January 1st, 2008, has been completely rewritten, is now based on Cocoa instead of Carbon , which uses the WebKit rendering engine , and requires at least Mac OS X 10.3.9.
Version 2.9.9 is still available for older systems (including 68k Macs), but will not be further developed.
The latest versions of the browser for desktop and laptop computers:
- iCab 5.9.2 (March 4, 2020)
- iCab 5.9.1 (February 23, 2020)
- iCab 5.9 (February 21, 2020)
- iCab 5.8.6 (September 28, 2018)
- iCab 5.8.5 (June 20, 2018)
- iCab 5.8.3 (March 17, 2017)
- iCab 5.8.2 (March 6, 2017)
- iCab 5.7 (August 4, 2016)
- iCab 5.6.2 (November 28, 2015)
- iCab 5.6.1 (November 28, 2015)
- iCab 5.6 (November 23, 2015) - Adjustments to MacOSX 10.11 (El Capitan)
- iCab 5.5 (October 30, 2014) - Adjustments to MacOSX 10.10 (Yosemite)
- iCab 5.2 (June 3, 2014) - Improvements for MacOSX 10.9
- iCab 5.1.1 (September 13, 2013)
- iCab 5.1 (September 2, 2013)
- iCab 5.0.1 (June 12, 2012)
- iCab 4.9 (June 8, 2012, last version compatible with MacOSX 10.3.9 and 10.4.11)
Version history for iCab Mobile (only the larger versions and the current version):
- Version 9.11 (May 30, 2018)
- Version 9.0 (November 5, 2015)
- Version 8.0 (March 28, 2014)
- Version 7.0 (May 10, 2013)
- Version 6.0 (July 21, 2012)
- Version 5.0 (August 29, 2011)
- Version 4.0 (October 8, 2010)
- Version 3.0 (April 1, 2010)
- Version 2.0 (November 5, 2009)
- Version 1.0 (April 21, 2009)
- iCab - Internet Browser © 1999-2018 Alexander Clauss. Retrieved March 15, 2020 .
- iCab Mobile - Web Browser. Retrieved July 6, 2018 .