Josef Budenz graduated from high school in Fulda in 1854 and studied in Marburg and from 1855 for three years in Göttingen, a. a. with Theodor Benfey with a focus on Indo-European language comparison research . Doctorate took place in 1858.
In 1858 he was in Budapest and taught in Stuhlweissenburg . In 1861 he was appointed librarian at the Hungarian Scientific Academy . Under the guidance of Pál Hunfalvy, he deepened his knowledge of the Urals and Altaic languages. From 1868, according to another source from 1872, he was a full professor for Altaic comparative languages, the chair was set up especially for him. In 1871 he became a full member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences . On March 17, 1884, he was honored in the university auditorium. From 1876 he was a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences in St. Petersburg . Budenz died on Good Friday, April 15, 1892 and was buried on Easter Sunday, April 17, 1892.
On May 26, 1963, a memorial plaque was inaugurated in his honor at today's village community center, the location of the former school in Rasdorf. The memorial plaque bears the inscription: The house in which Joseph Budenz was born on June 13, 1836, stood until 1954. From 1868 until his death on April 15, 1892 he was a professor at the University of Budapest and is the founder of the modern Finnish-Ugric comparative language. Donated by the Societas Uralo-Altaica on May 23, 1963
An article was also published in Fuldaer Geschichtsbl Blätter No. 5 of 1936 on his 100th birthday. The Budenz-Gymnasium in Budapest published a Budenz memorial book in Hungarian in 2002. A “Budenz Day” is held every year at the Finnish-Ugric seminar at the University of Göttingen.
The "headquarters" of the Budenz families in Rasdorf can be found at "Am Anger 3 or 5".
- Ugric language studies , 2 volumes, Budapest 1869–70
- Overview of the ramifications of the Ugric languages , 1878
- Issue 1 of the Rasdorfer Geschichtsblätter on rasdorf.de (PDF) ( Memento of the original from May 19, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Julius von Farkas: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1955, ISBN 3-428-00183-4 , p. 716 ( ). In:
- Dr. Décsy, Gyula in: Parish council of the community of Rasdorf (ed.): Rasdorf, contributions to the history of a 1200-year-old community, historical presentation for the 1200-year celebration, Rasdorf, 1980, p. 126f
- Sturm, Erwin: Rasdorf, History and Art, Fulda 1971, p. 31f
- Entry about Josef Budenz in the Hungarian Biographical Lexicon (MEK) of the National Széchényi Library (Hungarian)
- Photograph from 1880, in the Hungarian-German Gallery in Budapest
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Budenz, Jozsef (Hungarian spelling)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Finno-Ugrist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 13, 1836|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rasdorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 15, 1892|
|Place of death||Budapest|