After an apprenticeship in a dye works, he founded the Schetty & Sons company in 1853. Over the decades he expanded it into the largest dye works in Basel, and it existed until 1984. From 1870 to 1894 he was a non-party member of the Grand Council of Basel-Stadt , and from 1873 to 1883 he was the fire brigade commander .
- John Friedrich Vuilleumier : Memories from the realm of the dyer's masters. In: Basler Jahrbuch 1946 , pp. 82-108.
- 100 years of Schetty dye works, 1853–1953. 1953.
- B. Thommen: The Basel fire brigade. 1982, 99-107.
- Hermann Wichers : Schetty, Josef. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- The weather house by Joseph Schetty on Claraplatz by Roger Jean Rebmann, 2011
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss dyeing entrepreneur|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 26, 1824|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 4, 1894|
|Place of death||Basel|