The former Blumenthal monastery ( Blomendaell , Blomendale , domus in valle florum ) was an Augustinian monastery in the town of Beckum . It was founded in 1446 and abolished in 1814 in the course of secularization. Most of the members of the convention were of civil descent. The mother ( mater ) was in charge .
The Marienborn sister house ( süsternhus ton Marienborne ), initially located at Westmühle at the gates of Beckum, was founded on September 8, 1446 on a farm donated by the Münster sealer Hermann Volker. However, as early as 1451 the warlike circumstances of the Münster collegiate feud forced the sisters to have a new house built within the city wall at the south gate. In 1464 the sisters adopted the Rule of Augustine .
The monastery buildings fell victim to the city fire on July 24, 1657. Afterwards a difficult and modest reconstruction succeeded until 1662; but the economic decline could no longer be stopped, so that the number of sisters ultimately also declined. In the course of secularization in 1803, the dean of the Beckum collegiate monastery was appointed administrator. The aim was to move the remaining sisters to Ahlen in 1807 (daughter company Maria Rosa). After this unsuccessful attempt, it was repealed on March 29, 1814.
Mothers of the monastery
- Eva Dedinchem, 1459-1491
- Katharina Torck, 1491–1510
- Margaretha Schurkemans, 1510-1525
- Margaretha Niehus, 1525-1547
- Anna Haerkotters, 1548–1592
- Ermgart Niehus, 1592-1608
- Anna Guelkers, 1608-1624
- Gertrud Wilkens, 1624–1638
- Johanna Suer, 1639-1641
- Margaretha Schulte, 1641–1657
- Maria Cateman, 1658-1664
- Anna Magdalena Zumkley, 1664–1708
- Anna Christina Schepers, 1708–1721
- Brigitta Clerx, 1721-1728
- Maria Theresia Hanen, 1728–1753
- Maria Katharina Harnischmacher, 1753–1765
- Maria Elisabeth Melchers, 1765–1776, 1783 and 1792–1803
- Maria Anna Degener, 1788
- Maria Wilhelmina Meier, 1797
- Maria Elisabeth Breckenheiner, 1804–1814
The dormitory dating from the last third of the 15th century is still preserved from the former monastery buildings . After the renovation, the building was inaugurated on August 15, 2009. It is used as a home and family archive.
Maria Blumenthal bell
The Maria Blumenthal bell (number 7 of the bells of St. Stephen), cast in 2008, is reminiscent of the former Blumenthal monastery. It has the nominal c 2 and thus sounds exactly one octave higher than its big sister, the Marienglocke (No. 1) from 1647 (c 1 ).
- Heimat- & Geschichtsverein Beckum eV: Dormitory of the former Maria Blumenthal monastery
- Document registers from the archive of the Blumenthal sister house / digital Westphalian document database (DWUD)
- NRW Foundation: Blumenthal Abbey in Beckum
- Cornelia Kneppe: Archaeological investigations on the site of the former Blumenthal monastery in Beckum. In: Excavations and finds in Westfalen-Lippe 9 B, Mainz 1995, pp. 415-432.
- Wilhelm Kohl : Beckum - sister house Blumental. In: Karl Hengst (Hrsg.): Westfälisches Klosterbuch. Part 1: Ahlen - Mülheim. Aschendorff, Münster 1992, ISBN 3-402-06886-9 , pp. 54–56, ( sources and research on church and religious history 2, publications by the Historical Commission for Westphalia 44), including further literature.
- Wilhelm Kohl: sister house Blumental to Beckum. In: The dioceses of the ecclesiastical province of Cologne. The diocese of Münster. Volume 1: Wilhelm Kohl: The sister houses according to the Augustinian rule. ( Germania Sacra , New Series 3), de Gruyter, Berlin 1968, pp. 219–248 ( digitized version ).
- Siegfried Schmieder: Blumenthal Monastery. In: Siegfried Schmieder, Egon Ahlmer, Wilhelm Winkelmann: City of Beckum. Events and developments in 750 years. Stadt Beckum, Beckum 1974, pp. 31-42.
- Hugo Schürbüscher: The Dormitory Project. A last relic of the Blumenthal monastery in Beckum. In: Jahrbuch des Kreis Warendorf 2009. Kreisheimatverein Beckum-Warendorf eV, Warendorf 2008, pp. 231–235.
- Hugo Schürbüscher: Ceremonial inauguration of the dormitory in Beckum. In: Yearbook of the district of Warendorf 2010. Kreisheimatverein Beckum-Warendorf eV, Warendorf 2009, pp. 31–33.
- Stefan Wittenbrink: NRW honorary awards to Beckum and Ennigerloh for the dormitory and the "old distillery". In: Yearbook of the district of Warendorf 2011. Kreisheimatverein Beckum-Warendorf eV, Warendorf 2010, p. 83.
Coordinates: 51 ° 45 ′ 13.8 " N , 8 ° 2 ′ 23.9" E