After completing his theological and philosophical studies, Karl Hengst received the sacrament of ordination in 1964 . He then worked as a vicar in Dortmund and Bad Driburg . He received his doctorate in 1973 at the Theological Faculty in Paderborn and then worked for six years as a research assistant at the Chair for Church History of the Middle Ages and Modern Times at the Ruhr University in Bochum . In 1979, the Department of Catholic Theology at the Ruhr University in Bochum granted him the license to teach the subject of medieval and modern church history.
In 1980 Karl Hengst was appointed professor of church history at the theological faculty in Paderborn, with special attention to the history of the diocese. From 1984 to 2009 he was director of the Archbishop's Academic Library in Paderborn .
He is the author and editor of numerous works on the missionary and early history of Westphalia, the history of the monasteries in Westphalia and Waldeck, the history of the 16th and 17th centuries with special emphasis on university history, the history of Jewish life in Westphalia and the history of the diocese of Paderborn. Since 1973 he has been conducting regular research in relevant Westphalian archives and at the Vatican Secret Archives in Rome . Hengst was elected a full member of the Historical Commission for Westphalia in 1983, and was a member of the board from 1990 to 2009. In 1990 he was awarded the knighthood of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem in Bonn .
- Church reforms in the Prince Diocese of Paderborn under Dietrich von Fürstenberg. A contribution to the history of the Counter Reformation and Catholic Reform in Westphalia . Schöningh, Munich 1974, ISBN 3-506-76252-4 .
- Jesuits at universities and Jesuit universities. On the history of the universities in the Upper German and Rhenish Province of the Society of Jesus in the Age of Confessional Controversy . Schöningh, Paderborn 1981, ISBN 3-506-73252-8 .
- with Hans Jürgen Brandt : The Archdiocese of Paderborn. History, people, documents . Bonifatius, Paderborn 1989, ISBN 3-87088-595-5 .
- The church of Paderborn . Ed. du Signe, Strasbourg 1995, ISBN 2-87718-196-0 .
- with H. Müller (Ed.): Willebadessen yesterday and today. Contributions to the history of the monastery, town and parish on the occasion of the foundation of the monastery 850 years ago . Bonifatius, Paderborn 1999, ISBN 3-89710-104-1 .
- with Hans Jürgen Brandt: History of the Archdiocese of Paderborn . Bonifatius, Paderborn 1997 ff., ISBN 3-89710-005-3 .
- K. Hengst (Hrsg.): Westfälisches Klosterbuch: Lexicon of the monasteries and monasteries established before 1815 from their foundation to the abolition. Verlag Aschendorff, Münster: Volume 1, 1992; Volume 2, 1994; Volume 3, 2003.
- Hermann-Josef Schmalor , Peter Häger (Ed.): In Truth and Justice. Bishop Wilhelm Schneider of Paderborn 1900–1909. Festival ceremony for Karl Hengst . Bonifatius, Paderborn 1999, ISBN 3-89710-089-4 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German theologian and professor for church history and diocese history in Paderborn|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 5, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stage , Warburg district|