Kugeler studied from 1959 physics at the RWTH Aachen University with a diploma in 1964 and was there in 1968 when Rudolf Schulten Dr. PhD ( The Be9 (n, 2n) reaction and its influence on the neutron economy of a pebble bed reactor ). From 1965 to 1979 he was a research assistant and from 1968 head of department at the Research Center Jülich (then KFA Jülich) at the Institute for Reactor Development. In 1976 he completed his habilitation at RWTH Aachen University ( on the technical feasibility of nuclear process heating systems ). In 1979 he became a full professor for power engineering at the University of Duisburg-Essen (then University of GH Duisburg) and was dean of the faculty for mechanical engineering there in 1988/89. Since 1990 he has been professor for reactor safety and reactor technology at RWTH Aachen University as successor to Rudolf Schulten. He was also director at the Institute for Safety Research and Reactor Technology at Forschungszentrum Jülich. From 1994 he was deputy chairman of the scientific and technical council. In 2005 he retired in Aachen.
He dealt in particular with the technology and safety of high-temperature reactors . His thesis of the allegedly inherently safe and disaster-free pebble bed reactor is controversial (see here ) and was questioned in 2014 by an independent group of experts on the Jülich pebble bed reactor .
- with Rudolf Schulten: high temperature reactor technology , Springer Verlag 1989
- Is There a Disaster-Free Nuclear Reactor? A core meltdown is excluded in the high-temperature reactor with spherical graphitic fuel elements , Physikalische Blätter, Volume 57, 2001, No. 11, pp. 33-38, online
- with Peter-Wilhelm Phlippen: Energy technology: technical, economic and ecological principles , Springer Verlag 1990, 2nd edition 1993
- K. Kugeler: Does the disaster-free nuclear reactor exist? In: Physikalische Blätter 57 (2001) No 11 p. 34 ff ( online ) (accessed September 8, 2015; PDF; 795 kB)
- Appointment of the new members of the Reactor Safety Commission by Trittin 1999 ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Confirmation of membership for two years from 2001, Strahlentelex, pdf
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German nuclear technologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 8, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Arnsberg|