He received a BFA degree from Western Kentucky University in 1971. In the 1980s he worked a lot for the role-playing world of the pen and paper role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons . From 1981 to 1987 Elmore worked as an employee for the role-playing game publisher TSR Inc. (now Wizards of the Coast ). During this time he created his most famous illustrations, namely images from the RPG world Krynn and the cover of the book series Dragonlance ( Dragonlance ). He also designed his own comic series called Snarfquest for Dragon Magazine . He has been working as a freelance artist since 1987 - u. a. from 1993 also for TSR Inc. - and develops covers for comics , computer games, magazines, fantasy and science fiction literature and many other areas. Elmore lives with his wife Betty in Leichtfield, Kentucky.
Most of his works are painted with oil paints , while a few are painted with acrylic paints and with airbrush . He uses masonite as a painting surface between 0.625 cm and 0.9525 cm thick. He applies gesso (rabbit skin glue and plaster of paris) to the surface , finally smoothing with sandpaper. Starting from a sketch, he creates the picture opaque and in layers with round, soft sable brushes . He worked on a 50.8 cm × 76.2 cm picture for around two weeks. He was most influenced by painters of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In the mid-1990s, Elmore began writing.
- Chesley Award
- 1989 nominated for Best Interior Illustration
- 2001 nominated for Best Cover Illustration: Paperback Book
- Larry and Robert Elmore, Runes of the Autum 1996. ISBN 0-7869-0504-2
- Twenty Years of Art. Elmore. Art Fantastix Select No. 5. mg / publishing Rastatt 2002. ISBN 3-931670-55-4
- Larry Elmore, Majestica: The Art of Monte Michael Moore , 2004. ISBN 1-84340-185-1
- official homepage
- Literature by and about Larry Elmore in the catalog of the German National Library
- Larry Elmore in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American fantasy painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 15, 1948|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||US state of Kentucky|