Margaret C. Crofoot (* 1980 ) is an American behavioral scientist and evolutionary anthropologist.
Crofoot graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor's degree in human biology in 2001 and Harvard University , where she received a master's degree in anthropology in 2003 and her PhD in 2008. Since 2010, she has been a post-doctoral student at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama. From 2017 to 2019 she was an Associate Professor at the University of California, Davis . In 2018 she received a Humboldt Professorship for the University of Konstanz , where she is to expand the field of movement ecology and expand from fish and birds to monkeys. Since July 2019 she has been a "Scientific Member" of the Max Planck Society and one of the three directors at the Max Planck Institute for Animal Behavior , which was founded in 2019 and is based in Radolfzell on Lake Constance and Constance.
She researches the movement patterns of, for example, baboon packs with GPS transmitters and conclusions that can be drawn from them for decision-making in the group. She was able to show that the movement is not only determined by the leader, but that there are also majority decisions and reflex-like behavior.
- Strandburg-Peshkin, A., Farine, D., Couzin, I., Crofoot, M. C: Shared decision making drives collective movement in wild baboons, Science, Volume 348, 2015, pp. 1358-1361.
- Kays, R., Crofoot, MC, Jetz, W., Wikelski, M .: Terrestrial animal tracking as an eye on life and the planet. Science, Volume 348, 2015
- Crofoot, MC: The cost of defeat: Capuchins groups travel further, faster and later after losing conflicts with neighbors. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, Volume 152, 2013, pp. 79-85.
- Crofoot, MC, Gilby, IC: Cheating monkeys undermine group strength in enemy territory. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 109, 2012, pp. 501-505.
- Crofoot, MC, Gilby, IC, Wikelski, MC, Kays, RW: Interaction location outweighs the competitive advantage of numerical superiority in Cebus capucinus intergroup contests, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 105, 2008, pp. 577-581.
- Website at the University of California, Davis
- Humboldt Professorship
- MPG website
- Interview with Margaret C. Crofoot
- see page about Crofoot at www.mpg.de accessed November 15, 2019
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Crofoot, Margaret C.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American behavioral scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1980|