Markward is a male name.
Origin and meaning
The name Markward comes from Old High German. It is derived from marcha = border and wart = protector, guardian and therefore means "protector of the border".
February 2, February 27, May 6
- Markward I († 1168), Abbot of the Imperial Monastery of Fulda
- Markward II of Bickenbach (before 1245 – after 1288), prince abbot of the Fulda monastery
- Markward von Annweiler († 1202), Reichstruchsess
- Markward von Corvey († 1107), Abbot of Corvey and Bishop of Osnabrück
- Markward von Hailfingen (1245 – after 1284), Württemberg knight and servant
- Markward of Hildesheim († 880), Bishop of Hildesheim
- Markward von Jesowe († 1335), Bishop of Ratzeburg
- Markward von Prüm († 853), Abbot of St. Hubert and Prüm
See also variants:
- - Name Lexicon , accessed on April 18, 2019
- kirchenweb.at - first names name days lexicon boys , accessed on April 18, 2019