National Film Registry
The National Film Registry is the directory of American films that are considered particularly worth preserving. One of the tasks of the US National Library, the Library of Congress , is to preserve films made in the US for posterity. Particular attention is paid to film productions that are listed in the National Film Registry . This selection list contains films that have been classified as particularly important from a cultural, historical or aesthetic point of view.
The National Film Registry was established in 1988 on the basis of the National Film Preservation Act . Since then, the National Film Preservation Board has selected 25 films at the end of each year, each of which must be at least ten years old, for inclusion in this directory. The public can nominate films, but the decision rests only with the Preservation Board. In addition to feature films , this directory also contains documentaries and short films of cultural history as well as newsreels , including the Zapruder film about the assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy .
At present (end of 2019) there are 775 films listed in the National Film Registry (see list of films recorded in the National Film Registry ).
Newark Athlete, dating from 1891, is the oldest film on the National Film Registry .
In Germany , the Federal Archives are responsible for maintaining film productions from national production .
New additions 2019
On December 11, 2019, another 25 films were included in the National Film Registry:
- Amadeus (1984)
- The Band (The Last Waltz) (1978)
- Before Stonewall (1984)
- Body and Soul (1925)
- Boys Don't Cry (1999)
- Clerks - The shop keeper (Clerks) (1994)
- Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty) (1959)
- Real Women Have Curves (Real Women Have Curves) (2002)
- Emigrants Landing at Ellis Island (1903)
- Employees' Entrance (1933)
- The Fog of War (The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara) (2003)
- George Washington Carver at Tuskegee Institute (1937)
- Girlfriends (1978)
- Lady Alquist's House (Gaslight) (1944)
- I Am Somebody (1970)
- Vanity Fair (Becky Sharp) (1935)
- Nobody Kills As Badly As I Do (A New Leaf) (1971)
- My Name Is Oona (1969)
- Nashville Lady (Coal Miner's Daughter) (1980)
- Nola Darling (She's Gotta Have It) (1986)
- Platoon (1986)
- Purple Rain (1984)
- His friend Jello (Old Yeller) (1957)
- A city goes through hell (The Phenix City Story) (1955)
- Zoot Suit (1981)