Live and act
Lindsay was the son of the doctor Robert Alexander Lindsay (1843-1915) and his wife Jane Elizabeth Williams. His maternal grandfather was the preacher Thomas Williams, a follower of John Wesley (→ Methodist and Wesleyan Churches ). He had nine siblings, including Lionel (1874-1961), Norman (1879-1969), Ruby (1885-1919) and Daryl Lindsay (1889-1976).
Lindsay noticed his talent during his school days and received his first artistic lessons in the studios of Frederick Stanley Sheldon and Walter Withers . When she was twenty or twenty-five, Lindsay went to Melbourne and worked as an illustrator and cartoonist.
In Melbourne he also quickly became the focus of the local artist scene. After the First World War , he settled in Sydney with his wife and daughter . There he mostly painted landscapes, but remained a cartoonist for The Bulletin magazine .
Percy Lindsay died four days after his 82nd birthday on September 21, 1952 in Sydney, where he found his final resting place.
- Harry F. Chaplin: A Lindsay Miscellany. Norman, Lionel, Ruby, Philip and Mary and other members of the family . Wentworth Books, Sydney 1978.
- Silas Clifford-Smith: Percy Lindsay. Artist & Bohemian . Australian Scholarly Publ., North Melbourne 2011, ISBN 978-1-9215-0989-6 .
- Daryl Lindsay: The leafy tree. My family . Cheshire Edition, Melbourne 1965.
- Alan McCulloch: Percy Lindsay Catalog . The Ballarat Gallery, Ballarat 1975.
- Joanna Mendelssohn: Letters and Liars. Norman Lindsay and the Lindsay family . Angus & Robertson, Sydney 1996, ISBN 0-207-18272-8 .
- Ursula Prunster: The legendary Lindsay. Norman, Percy, Lionel, Ruby and Daryl Lindsay . Beagle Press, Sydney 1995, ISBN 0-947349-13-8 (catalog of the exhibition of the same name, The Art Gallery of New South Wales, January 6 to February 26, 1995)
- William Ritchie: The Ballarat Fine Art Gallery. Percy Lindsay, Creswick . In: Art Bulletin of Victoria , 1969/70, pp. 30f,
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lindsay, Pecival Charles (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Australian painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 17, 1870|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Creswick , Victoria|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 21, 1952|
|Place of death||Sydney , New South Wales|