Peter Hersche (* 1941 ) is a Swiss historian and professor at the University of Bern (Modern General History). He specializes in the baroque .
Hersche first completed a business apprenticeship and practiced this profession, graduated from high school in 1963 and then studied history, modern German literature and art history in Bern, Bonn, Vienna and Paris. After obtaining his licentiate degree (lic. Phil.), He was a university assistant in Bern from 1971, where he received his doctorate in 1973 and habilitated in 1982 in more recent general history. He was then a lecturer and, from 1990, adjunct professor in Bern.
Hersche deals with the cultural and social history of early modern Catholicism and the Baroque, popular religion, the social history of baroque art and the history of the Catholic Enlightenment.
- The German cathedral chapters in the 17th and 18th centuries , 3 volumes, Bern 1984
- Italy in the Baroque period 1600–1750. A social and cultural history , Vienna: Böhlau 1999
- Leisure and Waste: European Society and Culture in the Baroque Age , 2 volumes, Herder 2006
- Serenity and joie de vivre: what we can learn from the baroque , Herder 2011
- Agrarian religiosity: rural population and traditional Catholicism in pre-Alpine Switzerland 1945-1960 . Hier und Jetzt, Verlag für Kultur und Geschichte 2013
- Late Jansenism in Austria . Writings of the D.-Dr.-Franz-Josef-Mayer-Gunthof-Fonds, publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences 1977
- Publisher: Napoleonic peace treaties: Campo Formio 1797, Lunéville 1801, Amiens 1802, Preßburg 1805, Tilsit 1807, Vienna-Schönbrunn 1809 . Sources on modern history / Historical Institute of the University of Bern, Bern: Lang 1973
- Editor: Enlightened Reform Catholicism in Austria, Sources for Modern History . Historical Institute of the University of Bern, Bern: Lang 1976
- Literature by and about Peter Hersche in the catalog of the German National Library
References and comments
- ↑ Short biography in Ernst Wangermann, Gerhard Ammerer , Hanns Haas: Ambivalences of the Enlightenment: Festschrift for Ernst Wangermann. Publishing house for history and politics 1997
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1941|