Peter Tremayne is the pseudonym of the English historian Peter Berresford Ellis (born March 10, 1943 in Coventry ). Under this pseudonym he publishes detective novels about the Irish nun and lawyer Fidelma, who lived in the 7th century .
With Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and British uncles and aunts among his ancestors and relatives, he began to be interested in Celtic history. After studying Celtology with a master's degree, he turned to journalism. His first book, Wales - A Nation Again, about the Welsh independence movement was published in 1968. In the following years he began to write popular science books about the Celts against the background of his studies. This - and above all the successful sister Fidelma novel series - earned him honors as a member of the "Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland" and the "Royal Historical Society".
The pseudonym Peter Tremayne was created to avoid confusion of the similar names when Peter Berresford Ellis was to write a review of the first Cadfael novel by Ellis Peters in 1977 . Tremayne is the name of one of his favorite places in Cornwall. Fantasy stories based on Celtic myths and legends were initially published under this pseudonym, followed by the crime novels about Sister Fidelma since 1993.
Between 1983 and 1993 he also wrote eight adventure thrillers under the pseudonym Peter MacAlan .
- Dracula Novels (as Peter Tremayne)
- Dracula Unborn (1977, also as Bloodright: A Memoir of Mircea, Son of Vlad Tepes of Wallachia, Also Known as Dracula , 1979)
- The Revenge of Dracula (1978)
- Dracula, My Love (1980)
- Dracula Lives! (1993)
- Lan Kern Trilogy (as Peter Tremayne)
- The Fires of Lan Core (1978)
- The Destroyers of Lan-Kern (1982)
- The Buccaneers of LanKern (1983)
- Sister Fidelma (as Peter Tremayne)
Absolution By Murder (1994)
- German: Only death brings forgiveness. 1998.
Shroud for the Archbishop (1995)
- English: A shroud for the archbishop. 1998.
Suffer Little Children (1995)
- German: Death in the scriptorium. 2001.
The Subtle Serpent (1996)
- English: The dead in the monastery fountain. 2000.
The Spider's Web (1997)
- English: The dead man on the stone cross. 2001.
Valley of the Shadow (1998)
- English: Death in the Valley of the Heiden. 2006.
The Monk Who Vanished (1999)
- German: Death in the royal castle. 2002.
Act of Mercy (1999)
- English: Death on the Pilgrim Ship. 2002.
Our Lady of Darkness (2000)
- German: All are equal before death. 2003.
Smoke in the Wind (2001)
- English: The Monastery of Dead Souls. 2004.
The Haunted Abbot (2002)
- English: Bow down to death. 2005.
Badger's Moon (2003)
- German: Death by a full moon. 2005.
The Leper's Bell (2004)
- German: Death should come upon you. 2006.
Master of Souls (2005)
- English: death before morning mass. 2007.
A Prayer for the Damned (2006)
- English: A prayer for the damned. 2007.
Dancing with Demons (2007)
- English: Death to the old gods. 2008.
The Council of the Cursed (2008)
- English: The Council of the Damned. 2008.
The Dove of Death (2009)
- English: A pigeon brings death. 2010.
The Chalice of Blood (2010)
- German: the blood chalice. 2010.
Behold a Pale Horse (2011)
- German: And hell followed him. 2012.
The Seventh Trumpet (2012)
- English: The gates of death. 2012.
Atonement of Blood (2013)
- German: The atonement. 2013.
The Devil's Seal (2014)
- German: Messengers of the devil. 2014.
The Second Death (2015)
- German: The wages of sin. 2016.
Penance of the Damned (2016)
- English: Death will devour you. 2016.
Night of the Lightbringer (2017)
- German: Your lot is darkness. 2018.
- German: Who sows lies. 2019.
- Blood in Eden (2019)
- The Shapeshifter's Lair (2020)
Collections of short stories:
Hemlock at Vespers: Fifteen Sister Fidelma Mysteries (2000)
- English: the false apostle. 2009.
Whispers of the Dead: A Collection of Celtic Mysteries: Fifteen Sister Fidelma Mysteries (2004)
- German: The Banshee. 2011.
An Ensuing Evil and Others: Fourteen Historical Mystery Stories (2006)
- English: The whispers of the lost souls. Crime stories with sister Fidelma a. a. Translated by Andrea Voss. Construction Paperback # 2399, 2007, ISBN 978-3-7466-2399-3 .
- English: The truth is the lie death (2018)
- as Peter Tremayne
- The Hound of Frankenstein (1977)
- The Vengeance of She (1978)
- The Ants (1979)
- The Curse of Loch Ness (1979)
- Zombie! (1981)
- The Return of Raffles (1981)
- The Morgow Rises! (1982)
- Snowbeast! (1983)
- Raven of Destiny (1984)
- Kiss of the Cobra (1984)
- Swamp! (1985)
- Angelus! (1985)
- Nicor! (1987)
- Trollnight! (1987)
- Ravenmoon, 1988 in US as Bloodmist (1988)
- Island of Shadows (1991)
- Prayer for the Damned: A Mystery of Ancient Ireland (2007)
- Dancing with Demons: A Mystery of Ancient Ireland (2008)
- as Peter MacAlan
- The Judas Battalion (1983)
- Airship (1984)
- The Confession (1985)
- Kitchener's Gold (1986)
- The Valkyrie Directive (1987)
- The Doomsday Decree (1988)
- Fireball (1991)
- The Windsor Protocol (1993)
- as Peter Berresford Ellis
- The Liberty Tree (1982)
Short Stories (as Peter Tremayne)
- The Hound of Frankenstein (1977)
- Dracula's Chair (1980)
- The Hungry Grass (1981)
- The Last Gift (1981)
- Reflections on a Dark Eye (1981)
- The Plowing of Pras-a-Ufereth (1982)
- The Storm Devil of Lan Core (1982)
- Snake Fright (1983)
- The Imshee (1983)
- The Kelpie's Mask (1983)
- My Lady of Hy-Brasil (1984)
- The Hudolion (1984)
- The Samhain Feis (1984)
- Aisling (1985)
- The Pooka (1985)
- Tavesher (1986)
- The Singing Stone (1986)
- Deathstone (1987)
- Buggane (1989)
- The Mongfind (1990)
- Fear a 'Ghorta (1991)
- Amhránaí (1992)
Daoine Domhain (1992)
- German: Daoine Domhain. In: Stephen Jones (ed.): Shadows Over Innsmouth. Festa, 2015, ISBN 978-3-86552-322-8 .
- The Dreeador (1992)
- The Oath of the Saxon (1992)
- Marbh Bheo (1993)
- The Foxes of Fascoum (1994)
- The Last Warrior Quest (1994)
- Son of Dracula (1995)
- The Temptations of Merlin (1995)
- My Name Upon the Wind (1996)
- The Banquet of Death (1996)
- The Magic Bowl (1996)
- The Poisoned Chalice (1996)
- Sir Tor in The Knight of The Golden Collar (1997)
- The Affray at the Kildare Street Club (1997)
- Our Lady of Death (1999)
- The Bridge of Sighs (2001)
- For the Blood Is the Life (2004)
- My Lady of Hy-Brasil and Other Stories (1987)
- Aisling and Other Irish Tales of Terror (1992)
Nonfiction (as Peter Berresford Ellis)
- Wales-A Nation Again! (1968)
- The Scottish Insurrection of 1820 (1970, with S. Mac a'Ghobhainn)
- The Problem of Language Revival (1971, with Mac a'Ghobhainn)
- A History of the Irish Working Class (1972)
- The Cornish Language and Its Literature (1974)
- Hell or Connaught! The Cromwellian Colonization of Ireland, 1652-1660 (1975)
- The Boyne Water (1976)
- The Great Fire of London (1976)
- Caesar's Invasion of Britain (1978)
- A Voice from the Infinite: The Life of Sir Henry Rider Haggard, 1856-1925 (1978)
- MacBeth: High King of Scotland, 1040-1057 AD (1979)
- By Jove, Biggles! : The Life of Captain WE Johns (1981, with P. Williams, also as Biggles !: The Life of Captain WE Johns , with J. Scholfield, 1993)
- The Last Adventurer: The Life of Talbot Mundy, 1879-1940 (1984)
- Celtic Inheritance (1985)
- The Celtic Revolution (1985)
- The Rising of the Moon (1987)
- A Dictionary of Irish Mythology (1987, 1989)
- The Celtic Empire (1990)
- A Guide to Early Celtic Remains in Britain (1991)
- A Dictionary of Celtic Mythology (1992)
- Celt and Saxon (1993)
- The Celtic Dawn (1993)
- The Book of Deer (1994)
- The Druids (1994)
- Celtic Women (1996)
- Celt and Greek (1997)
- The UnDead: The Legend of Bram Stoker and Dracula (1997, with Peter Haining, as Peter Tremayne)
- Celt and Roman (1998)
- The Chronicles of the Celts (1999)
- Erin's Blood Royal (1999)
- Eyewitness to Irish History (2004)
- The Shadow of Mr. Vivian (2014)
Editor (as Peter Berresford Ellis)
- J. Connolly: Selected Writings (1973)
- Masters of Terror: William Hope Hodgson, vol. I (1977, as Peter Tremayne)
- Irish Masters of Fantasy, 1979, as The Wondersmith and Other Tales (1988, as Peter Tremayne)
- Hans Joachim Alpers , Werner Fuchs , Ronald M. Hahn : Reclam's science fiction guide. Reclam, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-15-010312-6 , p. 415.
- Hans Joachim Alpers, Werner Fuchs, Ronald M. Hahn, Wolfgang Jeschke : Lexicon of Science Fiction Literature. Heyne, Munich 1991, ISBN 3-453-02453-2 , p. 975.
- Ellis, Peter Berresford. In: Lisa Kumar (ed.): The Writers Directory 2011. St. James Press, Detroit 2010, ISBN 978-1-55862-756-7 , pp. 678 f.
- Literature by and about Peter Tremayne in the catalog of the German National Library
- Peter Tremayne in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Peter Tremayne in Fantastic Fiction (English)
- Website of the International Sister Fidelma Society
- Interview Peter Tremayne on literature.de
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ellis, Peter Berresford (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English historian and crime writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 10, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Coventry|