Predrag Cvitanović (born April 1, 1946 in Zagreb ) is a Croatian - American theoretical physicist who deals with chaos theory (nonlinear dynamics). Cvitanovic immigrated from Yugoslavia to the USA and received his doctorate in 1973 from Cornell University with Tōichirō Kinoshita . He was a professor ("Carlsberg Foundation Research Professor") at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen and director of the Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies there . Since 2001 he has been professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Gatech) and director of the Center for Nonlinear Science, but is also at the Niels Bohr Institute.
Cvitanovic is known for his work on chaos theory, which he also wrote an online textbook about. He applied quantum field theoretical methods (such as renormalization theory, diagram method) in chaos theory and examined in particular the path to chaos via bifurcations of periodic orbits, with a perturbation development (cycle expansion), which, for example, in the theory of quantum chaos and in acoustics (reconstruction of Scattering bodies from the scattering spectra) was used. He also deals with turbulence theory in hydrodynamics, with group theory (where he developed a new diagrammatic representation of tensor invariants in the theory of Lie groups and found new phenomena such as “magic triangles” and continuations to negative dimensions) and perturbation theory in quantum field theory. He is the editor of a well-known anthology of reprints on chaos theory Universality in Chaos .
He received the research award from the Danish Physical Society. In 2009 he received the Alexander von Humboldt Research Award . He is a fellow of the American Physical Society .
- Published by: Universality in Chaos , 1993, 2nd edition, Taylor and Francis 1989
- Online textbook on chaos theory, with Roberto Artuso, Per Dahlqvist, Ronnie Mainieri, Gregor Tanner, Gábor Vattay, Niall Whelan, Andreas Wirzba: Chaos: Classical and Quantum, 2004 .
- Group theory- Birdtracks, Lie and Exceptional Groups , Princeton University Press 2008
- Circle maps: irrational winding in Michel Waldschmidt , Claude Itzykson , Jean-Marc Luck, Pierre Moussa (editor): Number Theory and Physics , Les Houches 1989, Springer 1992
- Tracks, Lie's and Exceptional Magic , in Pierre Cartier a. a. Frontiers in Number Theory, Physics and Geometry , Volume 2, Springer Verlag 2007
- Homepage at Gatech , with Research Overview , list of publications
- Homepage at the Niels Bohr Institute
- Portrait at the gatech
- To receive the Alexander von Humboldt Prize
- ↑ His doctoral thesis at Kinoshita was on contributions to perturbation theory 6th order of quantum electrodynamics on the magnetic moment of the electron (Kinoshita, Cvitanovic Physical Review D, Vol. 10, 1974, p. 4007). Later he also dealt with QCD diagrams and QCD mass shell Ward identities , group theory and Feynman diagrams
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Croatian physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 1, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zagreb|