Progressive trance is a form of trance music .
"Progressive" means "progressive", "building up". This means the typical, successive structure of the compositions, which usually extends over several minutes and is in stark contrast to the classic stanza-chorus structure that is often found in trance. At a speed of around 128 to 134 BPM , every quarter is emphasized with a bass drum in 4/4 time . Hi-hats and snares are typically divided into even (i.e. non-dotted) sixteenths. This type of music continues to characterize a certain degree of innovation . The pieces are usually more minimalist, but above all they are characterized by a finer elaboration and a greater variety of details. The tone selection is based on the harmony , but hardly conveys classical melodies as in "traditional" trance.
Traditional trance shifts its focus more to the melodies and the percussive sounds. In addition, heavier reverbs and delays are used in trance, creating a gloomy atmosphere. With a steady flow, progressive trance concentrates more on the progressive course than traditional trance music, which also consists of spectacular build-ups and equally spectacular pauses.
Typical style tracks:
- 2000: Goldenscan - Sunrise (Tiesto Remix)
- 2000: Push - Strange World
- 2001: Tiësto - Suburban Train
- 2003: Ticon - Back To Basic
- 2004: Tilt - The World Doesn't Know
- 2005: Markus Schulz feat. Airwave - Ballymena
- 2005: Above & Beyond vs. Andy Moor - Air For Life
- 2009: Gaia - Tuvan
- 2010: Arnej - They Need Us
- 2012: Stoneface & Terminal - Gallery Of Sound
- 2014: Tommy Johnson - Son Of Light
- 2018: Rio Lorenzo - Aurora
Well-known representatives of progressive trance:
In the Goa scene there is also the expression Progressive Psytrance (also known under the names Offbeat and Hamburg Psy), which is usually characterized by a rolling bassline and a tempo range from 136 to 143 BPM as well as a minimalist, progressive psytrance with a rather jumping bassline and often flat or creaky sounds.
Typical style tracks:
Well-known representatives of Progressive Psytrance:
- Solid State - Welcome Home
- Interactive noise
- Ace Ventura (mainly psytrance, but also makes individual progressive tracks)
- Astrix (mainly psytrance, but also makes individual progressive tracks)
- Morten Granau
-  complete encyclopedia of the psytrance currents, accessed on August 25, 2019