|( Westerlund & Blanc , 1879)|
Pyramidula chorismenostoma is a species of snail in the family of pyramid snails (Pyramidulidae) from the suborder of land snails (Stylommatophora). It is the only land snail species in Europe in which the coils become detached.
The right-hand winding case is flat-conical and measures 2.2 mm in width and 3.1 mm in height. It has up to 4½ turns that increase slowly. The first three turns are still rolled up regularly, then the turns separate from the previous turns. The last turn develops a weak keel on the outside. The mouth is rounded. The simple hem of the mouth is pointed and not turned over. The navel is very wide open navel,
The casing is light to red-brown in color, often becoming lighter towards the mouth. The growth strips are strongly developed.
Geographical distribution and habitat
The distribution area is limited to the south-eastern part of Greece including the Aegean islands and Crete as well as western Turkey.
The animals live in open biotopes on limestone cliffs.
Way of life
The animals are ovoviviparous, i.e. H. very few, very large eggs are produced which are retained in the mantle cavity. The young hatch in the mantle cavity and leave the mantle cavity as miniature adults. At this point you have formed 1½ turns.
- Edmund Gittenberger, Ruud A. Bank: A new start in Pyramidula (Gastropoda Pulmonata: Pyramidulidae). Basteria, 60 (1/3): 71-78, Leiden 1996 PDF
- Carl Agardh Westerlund, Hippolyte Blanc: Aperçu sur la faune malacologique de la Grèce including l'Epire et la Thessalie. Coquilles extramarines. 161 p., Taf. I-IV (= 1-4), Tornese, Neapel / Naples, 1879 Online at Animal Base
- Francisco W. Welter Schultes: European non-marine molluscs, a guide for species identification = identification book for European land and freshwater mollusks. A1-A3 S., 679 S., Q1-Q78 S., Göttingen, Planet Poster Ed., 2012 ISBN 3-933922-75-5 , ISBN 978-3-933922-75-5 (S. 209)
- MolluscaBase: Pyramidula chorismenostoma (Westerlund & Blanc, 1879)
- Fauna Europaea: Pyramidula chorismenostoma (Westerlund & Blanc, 1879)
- AnimalBase: Pyramidula chorismenostoma (Blanc, 1879) (accessed June 12, 2018)
- Sandra Kirchner, Josef Harl, Luise Kruckenhauser, Michael Duda, Helmut Sattmann, Elisabeth Haring: Phylogeography and systematics of Pyramidula (Pulmonata: Pyramidulidae) in the eastern Alps: still a taxonomic challenge. Journal of Molluscan Studies, 82: 110-121, 2016. doi : 10.1093 / mollus / eyv047