|region||Much of the autonomous community of La Rioja|
|Type of cheese||Fresh, soft, semi-aged or aged cheese|
|Milk supplier||goat milk|
|Ripening time|| Depending on the variety:
|Fat content||at least 35% FiTr.|
|protected term||Denominación de Origen Protegida , PDO|
|Ordinance on protection||Official Journal of the European Union(PDF) of April 4, 2012|
The Queso Camerano is a Spanish goat cheese from the La Rioja region . It is the only cheese in the region that has been protected with the Denominación de Origen Protegida (protected designation of origin) since 2012.
The cheese is made in the districts of Rioja Alta , Sierra de Rioja Alta , Sierra de Rioja Media and Sierra de Rioja Baja as well as the municipalities of Daroca , Lagunilla de Jubera , Logroño , Ocón , Santa Engracia and Villamediana de Iregua in the Rioja Media district and the Municipalities of Aguilar del Río Alhama , Arnedo , Autol , Bergasa , Bergasillas , Cervera del Río Alhama , Grávalos , Herce , Igea , Pradejón , Quel , Santa Eulalia Bajera , Tudelilla and Villarroya in the Rioja Baja district. The region thus covers approx. 80% of the area of the La Rioja region.
The milk comes from the goat breeds Serrana, Murciana-Granadina, Malagueña, Alpina and their crossbreeds.
The cheese has a flattened cylindrical shape. On the surface there are imprints of the wicker baskets in which it matures.
- Cream cheese : Pasteurized milk only.
- Soft cheese : only pasteurized milk, maturing time at least 15 days.
- semi-ripened cheese: pasteurized or raw milk, ripening time at least 30 days.
- Matured cheese: pasteurized or raw milk, maturing time at least 75 days.
The annual production volume is around 30,000 kg.
- José Antonio Folgado-Fernández, Pedro Ramiro Palos-Sánchez, Ana María Campón-Cerro, José Manuel Hernández-Mogollón: Gastronomic products with identity and the development of the tourism destination. A study on cheese routes in Spain . In: International Journal of Scientific Management and Tourism . tape 3 , no. 1 , April 26, 2017, p. 100 .
- The EU recognizes the GU Queso Camerano in Brussels, on the Consejo Regulator de la DOP Queso Camerano
- Properties. Asosiación del Queso Camerano, accessed October 9, 2017 .